1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Test Drive turns Taking ownership-accessing private files?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by noahdfear, 2009/01/10.

1. 2009/01/10
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive Thread Starter

Only Drive1 attached at this time - 4 partitions and unpartitioned space.
    Clean install of XP Pro on partition #1
    Clean install of Vista Ultimate on partition #2
    Clean install of Windows7 public release beta on partition #3

Installation went without a hitch.
    Networked PCs automatically detected and access was a breeze.
    Devices all recognized and working.
    Look and feel is great and I'm pleased with the enhancements.

Shutdown and connect 2 other hard drives (we'll call them drive2 and drive3) that contain multiple operating systems and partitions (I actually ran out of drive letters to assign to partitions so have some unformatted free space I cannot use until reconfiguring).

Boot the system and select drive1 then select the Windows7 operating system.
    Upon logon drives 2 & 3 are automatically recognized and installed - ready to use.
    Autoplay opens a dialog for each partition, prompting for action of mixed content.
    My Computer does not list the clean install of XP Pro on partition #1 drive1, nor does it show another XP Pro partition on drive2. Disk Management shows all partitions on all drives.

Using Windows Explorer, browse to private folder on drive2.
    I get a message indicating it is private and click OK to gain access.
    Permissions achieved and contents are displayed - cool, that was easy!
    Change explorer's view setting to display Details pane (area along bottom of windows that displays summary information of selected file).

Some text files display Status:private and receive Access Denied attempting to view them.
    Change ownership to Administrators group and give Full Control.
    Still access denied.
    Change ownership to current user and give full control - still access denied.
    Stumped :confused:

Now, to get setup for Send Feedback :rolleyes:

2. 2009/01/11
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

I have a less severe problem than you:

I had Partition 1 with Vista installed, Partition 2 with Data and Partition 3 spare awaiting Win7 build 7000.

I installed Win7 and ….

When I boot to Vista, (My) Computer shows Vista on C, Data on D and Win7 on F (E is optical)
    When I boot to Win7, (My) Computer shows Win7 on C, Data is D and Vista is unrecognised. In Disk Management I was able to set Vista to drive letter F.

VistaBootPro enabled me to change the boot default from Win7 to Vista for everyday work.

3. to hide this advert.