1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved TB titlebar missing

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by JSS3rd, 2015/12/18.

1. 2015/12/18
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member Thread Starter

I don't know when this happened, as I noticed it just a few days ago. TB opens normally, with everything working as it should, but the titlebar is now missing.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but it made no difference, and there doesn't seem to be anything in about:config that would cause it to disappear.

Any thoughts?

2. 2015/12/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Jim, Are you showing the Menu? Can you open Options > Layout > Classic view?
    Has the Full screen gone out of sight? Can you minimize the screen?
    What does the "title bar" display? How do you Close the email? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Firefox and TB can be toggled to Fullscreen mode. If move the cursor to the top of the screen the titlebar should reappear and you can then rt click and select Exit fullscreen.

And please verify that when you say titlebar you meant this part of the window where it says:
    Inbox - Local Folders - Mozilla Thunderbird

Attached Files:

5. 2015/12/19

Neil ...

I've always used the Classic view, but am not sure what you mean by "Has the Full screen gone out of sight? ". Are you saying "screen" when you actually mean "window "?

I open all programs in maximized windows, and can minimize them if necessary, but I normally don't do that. What I mean is that if I have multiple program windows open, such as Windows Explorer, Firefox, and TB, I shift between them by clicking on their taskbar buttons.

As stated in my OP, the titlebar is not displayed. What shows at the top of a TB window is shown in the first screenshot.

I close the TB program window either by clicking on the "X" close button in the upper right corner of the window or, if I have another program window displayed, by right-clicking on TB's taskbar button and selecting "Close Window ". I usually close TB message windows by tapping the ESC key.

Tony ...

Your suggestion doesn't work for me ... moving the cursor to the top does nothing.

By "titlebar" I mean the topmost horizontal bar, usually dark blue in color, fading to a lighter blue at the extreme right end, with the program icon and name at the extreme left. See the second screenshot, showing my Firefox customized toolbars.

I should add that my screen displays are probably different from yours because I use the Classic Shell program, which essentially replicates the Win9x display. IMO, it's the best UI ever produced by the Gnomes of Redmond.

EDIT: I'd been using an older version of TB (24.7.0) because I didn't like what the developers did with later versions, particularly the look of composition windows. After installing the current version (38.4.0), the titlebar is back, but so is the unwanted look of the composition window. I think I'll go back to 24.7.0, as I don't really need the titlebar ... I was just wondering why it had disappeared.

Attached Files:

• TB.jpg
      TB.jpg
      File size:
      15.1 KB
      Views:
    • FF.jpg
      FF.jpg
      File size:
      12 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: 2015/12/19
  6. 2015/12/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Jim, you had me looking for something that is not there in Mozilla Thunderbird.
    The Blue bar you showed is in Mozilla Firefox not in Thunderbird.
    I always run the newest versions of both FF and TB which are currently 43.0.1 and 38.4 respectively.
    I try to keep a flexible attitude to life and adjust to changes and with computer OS's and software, the versions/updates relate more to security than the way they look and operate. Have a Merry Xmas. :) Neil.

7. 2015/12/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Try this setting in about:config

mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar

set to False

JSS3rd likes this.
  8. 2015/12/21

Neil ...

The screenshot of the FF titlebar was shown only as an example of what a Mozilla titlebar should look like. As far as the blue titlebar not being present in TB, please see my response to Tony's last post, below.

I, too, almost always run the latest versions of my installed programs, but TB is an exception. As I said, I don't like the current look of the composition windows, specifically the address area ... it's now a depressing gray, where it used to be a nice clean white. If there are any significant changes or improvements in TB I'm not aware of them, and the earlier version works perfectly well for me.

We'll have a snowless Christmas here on Long Island, and we may be almost as warm as you folks Down Under. Today is the winter solstice, and our days will slowly begin to get longer, thank goodness. You have a Merry Christmas, too.

Tony ...

As you so often do, you hit the nail on the head ... TB's blue titlebar is back, in all its glory. :)

9. 2015/12/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well done!