1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Task manager not working but no error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vicki, 2009/07/06.

1. 2009/07/06
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all!

Just recently noticed that my "task manager" is non-functioning. Not sure how long it's been inoperable as I seldom used it.

I have done several things in order to try and rectify the problem (and hope I haven't made matters worse by doing so!!)

I did try a "system restore" dating back to June 1st.....no change

Also tried using some of these options (to no avail):

Method 1
    Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (Copy and paste):
    REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Method 2
    Download and run this REG fix and double-click it.

Method 3: Using Group Policy Editor - for Windows XP Professional
    Click Start, Run, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
    Navigate to this branch:
    User Configuration / Administrative Templates / System / Ctrl+Alt+Delete Options / Remove Task Manager

Double-click the Remove Task Manager option.
    Set the policy to Not Configured.

But now when I try to open task manager (either by using crt+alt+del or by right clicking in the taskbar) I get a quick window that opens (like a DOS screen) but it closes so quickly that I am not able to read anything in the header/border??

I have also read that sometimes a virus or malware, etc. can cause this type of problem. I have run Ad-Aware, Spybot S+D, Malwarbytes, and AVG but nothing has shown up. Any suggestions?

Computer seems to function fine otherwise (at least I have not noticed any other issues).

Hope this is any easy fix and I haven't already made it worse!

Regards,
    ~Vicki

2. 2009/07/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Vicki, Have you tried MS KB555480 instructions? Cheers Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/07/06
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

5. 2009/07/06
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Disabled Task Manager is also one of the signs of some infection.
    Are you sure, your computer is clean?

6. 2009/07/07
    Vicki

no luck...

Thank you for the suggestions offered here. I did try the repair tool, and after I downloaded (and saved it to my desktop) and ran it, it stated that it had repaired task manager. However it still shows up (rather quickly) as a "DOS" screen, and then disappears.

I also looked through the KB instructions, one of them was to check the group policy editor (which I had previously tried) the other mentioned about how to either check or edit the registry....something I am too leary to attempt.

I did mention also that I had ran my Ad-Aware, Spybot S+D, Malwarebyte's and AVG programs and nothing came up with them. Is there another program I could/should use to make sure I am clean?

Thanks again for everyone's efforts in helping me to resolve this issue!

Regards,
    ~Vicki

7. 2009/07/07
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

8. 2009/07/07
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Vicki,

It's always a good thing to make sure and/or be assured that your system is critter free, as Broni has suggested, particularly when it involves a red flag or marker action such as disabling a system file like taskmgr.exe. In addition to Broni's advice I'd like to add a few suggestions of my own.

I see various policy and registry checks and repairs have been done but am unsure if you have actually checked for the existence of a working taskmgr.exe file? This is usually located in the windows\system32 folder. You can search for this manually or try typing it on the startmenu>runline and running it these ways. You may also have it listed on msconfig's tools tab.

I suggest a reboot or safemode boot prior to the above ^ as you may have non responding or multiple listings of taskmgr.exe as a process and a reboot would insure this wouldn't continue to be the case.

Any related bad event reported using administrator tools>event viewer?

9. 2009/07/08
    Vicki

Thanks again for all the replies. I did do another check (for virus, malware, etc.) using the Trend Micro Housecall program. It did say it found 2 infections (under HKTL_NIRCMD) but was "unable" to clean them? (the two listed were C:\combofix\nircmd.cfexe and C:\combofix\nircmd.com) Don't know where those came from??

I also did look to see if I had a task manager exe file (located in the windows\system 32 folder) and it was there.

I have never used the administrator tools>event viewer, (didn't even know such a thing existed :eek:) Would this be something I should check and post back with any info (i.e errors)? If so, I will be needing some assistance on how to do that.

I have also done the requested scan and will head over to the malware category to post the results there.

Thanks again everyone! I still am hoping to get this nuisance resolved!

Regards,
    ~Vicki

10. 2009/07/08
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Vicki,

While I suspect the detected and flagged "combo fix files" maybe a false positive, it is best if you do as Broni has directed and head for a cleanup in our virus and malware forum. In the least you or another has loaded and ran combofix as part of a past viral cleanup. Perhaps this cleanup wasn't thorough enough or was messed up somehow. Combofix files are usually removed when done. This tool definitely needs professional experienced guidance when used. Looking on the bright side, the scans done, as part of our boards cleanups, will allow the checking of other areas that may be interfering with your ability to run taskmanager. I have total faith that Broni or another respected member will have you fixed up as quick as possible.

As a beginner, I see no need to continue this quest with an exploration of "event viewer ". Keep in mind that you may want to do a studyup of this tool at some later date and at your leisure. Google it and you'll get more hits than needed to do so.

Since I butted into this post only to verify if taskmanager existed and was located where it should be and have done so I will leave you in the hands of Broni. Have faith and good luck. :)

Last edited: 2009/07/08
  11. 2009/07/16
    Vicki

task manager fixed!

Thank you to everyone who offer assistance in resolving this issue. I did do some further "googling" and found a solution to fixing my task manager!

Here is what I found (& applied):

Located the task manager file in the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory, right clicked it and chose copy. Found the C:\WINDOWS\System32 directory, right clicked on that and pasted. It said there was another file already there and asked if I wanted to overwrite it, I chose "yes ".

So it appears to be working again! :D

Hope this solution will help anyone else who may come across this issue! I still am heading over to the malware forum to be sure that my system is clean in case there was some bug that caused it to stop working to begin with!

Is there a way to now mark this thread as resolved? I haven't been able to locate that option. :confused:

Thanks again,
    Vicki

12. 2009/07/16
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Vicki,

Thank you so much for the update. I'm glad to see you found your fix and are also in the process of finishing up on your virus checkup.

I was so close, when having you check for the existence of taskmanager. I knew this would have been one of the things done as an additional step to fix your problem should the virus cleanup not taken care of it.

In the future, just keep in mind, when in the process of a virus/malware cleanup, it is best not to do anything you have not informed and confirmed "okay ", with the member helper, as being all right first. Any change you make may mean additional fresh scans. As you've seen, in some cases, these scans can be quite lengthy and time consuming, both: in the scanning (for you) and in the screening (for our virus experts).

No harm done in this case and I am thrilled to see that you fixed it yourself. Good job and thanks again. :)

Your welcome.

13. 2009/07/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

I am glad you were able to get your issue resolved. :)