1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Specs Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Comments & Suggestions' started by Bill, 2011/11/04.

1. 2011/11/04
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

I recommend adding a line for "Date of Purchase/Assembly" in our System Specs. Once it has been determined that is the system in question, knowing how old it is can be helpful for responders in determining then next course of action.

Bill,
  2. 2011/11/04
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Seconded :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/11/04
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Could you list a couple of examples on how that would help;)

What about ->purchase of used pc was last week? Assembly date is unknown....

What about part replacement dates - last time OS was freshly installed....

5. 2011/11/04
    Bill

For example, when a poster says their Dell PC keeps shutting down, if we see in their system specs it was just purchased two weeks ago, we (as providers) could say, "this computer is still under warranty. It would be best to contact Dell Tech Support ".

If we see it was 5 years ago, then we know there will not likely be warranty issues.

I said "assembly date" to differentiate between factory built and self-built. I am open to something more descriptive.

If purchase date or assembly date is unknown, then the member would just leave it blank.

As far as replacement parts and OS fresh installs, that's going too far, IMO and not something that applies to nearly everyone.

To be honest, I am not a fan of My Specs anyway because we, as providers, cannot assume the OP is talking about that system. They could have multiple computers in their house or helping a friend or relative. But if they happen to mention the computer in question is the one listed, then knowing if still under warranty is nice to know before we recommend pulling RAM, swapping PSUs, or making other changes that may affect the warranty status.

Bill,
  6. 2011/11/04
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Lots of them will say working on a friends PC or something like that. Then we should know that it isn't what is in their system specs. See this quite a bit on other boards/forums.
    On here it says My System

7. 2011/11/04
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Nah, you can add a ton of other data too. Most users have already enough problems entering the basics. 99 out of 100 times it doesn't matter much anyway.

The one time you 'need' it, just ask for it.

8. 2011/11/04
    Bill

I agree with the above comments. In fact, if I had a preference, I would not want to see the My System links at all - except maybe if I look at a user's profile. That's how we do it at another site I'm a mod at and it avoids confusion all together.

As I noted in my opening post, this information only comes into play, "once it has been determined that is the system in question ".

Bill,
  9. 2011/11/04
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, the "My System" link is way more convenient (& faster) then having to look at a users profile (IMHO)... but hey, that's why there are different sites having different modes of operation...

10. 2011/11/04
    Bill

Yes - except for the fact we don't know if that is the computer the OP is talking about, unless he states upfront (which is rare) or we ask. Which takes me back to it is good to know how old the system is too. ;)

Bill,