1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [System discrepancies between 2 laptops and desktop]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jshaw42, 2016/01/04.

1. 2016/01/04
    jshaw42

jshaw42 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since W10, I have been truly perplexed. 2 laptops and a desktop, all running Windows 10 Home, all acting differently. For example, the laptops show the wireless network as "JShaw Internet access" the desktop shows "Network 2 Internet access. "

On the laptops, Windows Explorer will list and allow access to my NAS hard drives and files. The desktop, not happening. Tabs in WE on the laptops show "File," "Computer" and "View." On the desktop I get "File," "Network" and "View. "

The "File" and "View" functions are the same on all.

If I click "Properties" in the "Computer" tab on the laptop, it shows Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>System. I can map a network drive and add a network location.

If I click "Properties" in the "Network" tab on the desktop, I get Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center. I can not map a network drive or add a network location.

What is going on and how can I get the desktop to see the same network as the laptops?

2. 2016/01/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi jshaw42, I have an HP notebook running with W10 Home version 1511 OS Build 10586.36 and I do not have Windows Explorer showing at all.
    On my Taskbar I show 'File Explorer'. I cannot find 'My Computer' showing anywhere. Please explain or show a screen view of the terminology you are using.
    Are you using a 3rd. party Start Menu? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/04
    jshaw42

jshaw42 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey Retired,

First, it was file explorer, not windows explorer. Sorry for the confusion. I was in quite a state.

I worked on things a bit and it appears I wasn't paying attention to what was highlighted in the list that shows in the panel on the left. I learned that is what controls what shows in the tab I was describing as "Computer" and/or "Network" above.

By learning how to show what appears in that tab, I was able to find how to add a network location to the list. I can now access the NAS and files with the same ease as the drives on the laptops and desktop.

5. 2016/01/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yes, I figured you were using a different lingo. Sounds like you are sorted and able to follow your comps OK. Would this be "Solved ", please mark if so. Neil.