1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

~ symbol appears on desktop

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Bucksone, 2003/07/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/07/28
    Bucksone

Bucksone Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Sometimes the generic windows icon appears on my desktop with the ~ symbol underneath it. I can't seem to find any pattern to when it happens. I right click on it and select properties. For type it says just "File" and it is about 190kb in size. If I try to open it, I get the "Open with" window and it won't open no matter what I select. I end up just deleting it from the desktop. It doesn't seem to do me any harm, but I'm curious what it may be and why it keeps appearing. I'm running 98SE. Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. 2003/07/28
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/07/29
    Bucksone

Bucksone Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the peace of mind. I apologize for asking what now appears to be an often asked question. I tried doing a search for the problem first before posting, but came up with nothing. Odds are I did something wrong with the search. It was my first time on this site, and I can see how helpful the members can be. I'm sure I will have many future posts, as I've spent the past few months in computer hell, with numerous problems. It's amazing what one lightening strike can do to a computer. Darn Mother Nature!

5. 2003/07/29
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

No problem, and yes, I know how hard it would be to search for that. I had to remember some particular words in those posts, as the ~ is not allowed in the search.
    There are plenty of people willing to help here.
    Have a good one!

6. 2003/07/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Bucksone --Do not be discouraged from trying the Search function here in the future. It usually will work.
    The ~ file problem is a special one, since the Search function will not accept inquiries on words of less than three characters. So you cannot search for IE, OE or ~. Sometimes a * will help. And sometimes just run two short words together. Unfortunately, in this case, ~file does not work and neither does *~*!!
    P.S. The only way I can search for "~ file" posts is to search on my UserID since I contributed to many of those threads!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.