1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Suddenly getting black screens, have to manually power down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by The WobMob, 2018/02/11.

1. 2018/02/11
    The WobMob

The WobMob Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My computer was recently repaired. New HD, WD 7200rpm 1TB and new power supply Coolmax 550w. Installed with Windows 7 Home premium. Recently however, I've encountered an issue. May be game related but the occurrences are similar. On one, when I exit the game, the screen goes completely black. No sound, nothing. Alt-tab does nothing, nor does ctrl-alt-del. Keyboard and mouse are useless. Only thing I can do is hold down the power button to shut off computer. The game had been working previously. The only thing I did was install drivers for my sound card, Realtek, which I got from Gateways website. The tech that repaired my PC just had the generic MS sound drivers on. Thinking this was the issue, I rolled back the driver to the MS ones again but the problem persists. With the other game, the problem is when I start it. It starts up slower than usual and this time I hear music but again a black screen and while I can see a mouse cursor, alt-tab and task manager don't work. I again had to hold down the power button. This game worked before as well.My PC is a Gateway DC4860 i3 3.3ghz 6GB ram. intel HD2000 on board video. Windows 7 Home Premium.

2. 2018/02/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you are seeing the same problem you took it in for repair to correct, take it back and complain you spent a lot of money, apparently for things you didn't need, and you feel you were taken for a ride because they didn't fix it.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/02/11
    The WobMob

No, this is something new. When I said the issue was similar, I meant in the games. Two different games, but the errors are similar. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Other games I've tried seem to have no issues, so it may be with the games themselves. Just don't want to have to keep trying them since doing a hard reboot is not something I want to do. Thanks.

5. 2018/02/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

No you don't. While not that common these days, system freezes and hard reboots (that is, un-graceful shutdowns) can corrupt a hard drive and the OS on it.

Are your graphics drivers current?

If you have more than one stick of RAM, you might try running with one at a time, swapping in the other to test them all and hopefully identify a bad one, if there is one. Just be sure to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching for the RAM to discharge any destructive static in your body.

You can use a good memory tester too. I recommend MemTest86. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors – not even one. Note, however, that software-based RAM diagnostic tools are good, but none are conclusive. If they report any errors, even one, the RAM is bad. But it is not totally uncommon for them to report no problems and the RAM still fails in use, or when paired with other RAM.

I realize that is a new PSU, but Coolmax is not known for reliability, or for delivering good, clean, stable power. If you have access to another PSU you can temporarily swap in to see if the problem is still there, that would be good - since everything inside your computer depends on good, clean stable power.

Make sure your temps are good and you have good flow of cool air through the case.

Bill,
  6. 2018/02/11
    The WobMob

I updated the drivers via Windows Updated but I'm going to check again as intel has a utility that checks as well. The memory should be okay but I initially thought that was the issue with my computer and told the repair shop that and when he called he said the memory was okay.

7. 2018/02/15
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi The WobMob.

If you haven't already, download and install the latest video driver from here and see if the issue with the computer showing a black screen still occurs, Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8-64-bit.

8. 2018/02/16
    The WobMob

Yes, checked Speccy and those are the drivers I have. It seems I solved the problem with one game (Civilization IV) seems it didn't play well with Comodo firewall. Not sure why as i never got any pop ups regarding the game but after I uninstalled Comodo it ran fine. Not sure if it's the same issue with the other game (Skyrim). Could just be mods acting up so maybe I'll reinstall and try.

9. 2018/02/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

So when you uninstalled Comodo AV did Windows Defender take over your AV protection?
    If the games run OK with Defender - I would leave as the AV.

Did you see Arie's Post re Intel's buggy patch?
    Microsoft disables 'buggy' Intel patch

10. 2018/02/17
    The WobMob

I had the Comodo firewall only, not AV. Currently have Avast free AV and Windows Firewall. I don't think I had this intel patch as my HD was replaced and had a "new" OS installed; Windows 7 Home Premium from 10 as my 7 year old computer was just not playing too well with 10. At any rate, all this was done around February 6th. I don't recall seeing anything for intel other than a driver update for my intel HD2000 graphics chip.

11. 2018/02/21
    The WobMob

I'm going to mark this as solved. I bit the bullet and tried Skyrim again; the one that caused me to hard reboot, and it shuts down fine. After uninstalling Comodo Firewall, both are behaving fine now. I'm currently using Windows firewall. I had seen that autosaves in Skyrim caused issues for some so I disabled them although never caused me an issue before. But so far everything is running okay for now. Thank you for your assistance!

12. 2018/02/22
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I've always used MS OS as supplied and never had the problems of 3rd.party Firewalls. The only problems I've had have been with 3rd.party AV's.
    Have used Windows AV since MSE and Defender became available and who better to protect their own OS than MicroSoft.
    Nice to see you're working OK again.

Bill and The WobMob like this.
  13. 2018/02/22
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Thanks for the update. :)