1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Strategies for cloning my hard drive.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lugwalker, 2017/06/18.

Tags:
  1. 2017/06/18
    Lugwalker Lifetime Subscription

Lugwalker Forever Autumn Thread Starter

I'm intending to clone my 500gb hard drive onto a new 1TB hard drive and have been reviewing the strategies used by various people on the internet. I intend using Aomei Backer Upper Pro and Aomei Partition Assistant Pro.

One person was going to do the same with two hard drives of the same two sizes as mine. He intends creating six partitions, one solely for the system and the other five partitions for things like Photos, Music, etc.

Another person suggested (I liked his suggestion) that one creates one partition for the system and the rest of the disk a single partition with folders for everything else.

Does anyone see flaws in the above strategies, and if so does anyone have a better partitioning plan for my 1TB hard drive?

In the course of the process I'm hoping to use my Winstars hard drive docking station to hold my new 1TB drive as I clone my already installed 500gb drive onto it using the Aomei Backer Upper.

My plan may expose my lack of knowledge of the whole process, so if I may I'd like to ask a question or two:

If I clone my 500gb hard drive to my 1TB drive, then, after I've installed the new drive into my computer, do I go into that new installed drive and rearrange the partitions with my Aomei Partition Assistant Pro? The chances are that I'm being too simplistic about the whole procedure, so please let me know if I've not taken something into consideration. See links to relevant images below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2017/06/18
  2. 2017/06/18
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I know nothing about the Aomei software and the options it provides but I would consider a SSD drive of ~250 GB as the system drive and use the 1 TB SATA drive for data only. That would give a performance boost to the system. You would need to clone the top three partitions to the SSD and the DATA partiton to the SATA. It is important that the system partition (C) and the data partition (D) end up with the same drive letters as the original installation.

Lugwalker likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/06/18

Thanks, Christer. So that would be two separate drives inside the computer? Unfortunately, my slim Acer Veriton does not accommodate a second drive.:(

5. 2017/06/18
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Didn't think that far!

Lugwalker likes this.
  6. 2017/06/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Download the AOMEI user manual and have a good read as I feel sure it can be used to do the required Partitions you require. AOMEI was very easy to use for cloning my HDD to SSD in this comp and my HP Notebook HDD to SSD.

Lugwalker likes this.
  7. 2017/06/19

I'm preparing and cleaning the contents of my installed drive before going through the cloning process. I've finally changed over to Windows 10 too after several failed attempts.

I'll report back in due course. Fingers crossed!

Last edited: 2017/06/19
  8. 2017/06/22

For my first experience in cloning I went through the process today. You can see the results in the link below.

From the top, the first three entries are what I was cloning. The last four are the result of the clone. I'm wondering why there's no mention of DVD RW Drive E in the resultant clone?

[​IMG]

I'll be adjusting the partitions late on. I'd be interested to know about the DVD RW Driive E: no-show though. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

9. 2017/06/22
    retiredlearner

You don't have any data in your Drive E. If you had a CD or DVD in the drive - it would show.

Lugwalker likes this.
  10. 2017/06/22

Aha, I see.

I viewed the contents of the I: & J: (C & D) partitions in the clone and everything seems to be there. Does it look alright to you? I'll probably change the partition sizes and then install the new drive in my Acer as soon as possible.

Should I change I: & J: partitions back to C: & D: before or after I install the new drive?

11. 2017/07/01
    retiredlearner

Yes, you can change the partitions once you have it cloned to your new drive.

Lugwalker likes this.
  12. 2017/07/27

Mission accomplished!

I've created partitions on my new drive using Aomei Partition Assistant. Everything went smoothly.

Thanks, guys, for your help. ;)

13. 2017/07/27
    retiredlearner

You're Welcome. I found the AOMEI software easy to follow.;)

Lugwalker likes this.