1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved strange network issues

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by cspgsl, 2013/05/25.

1. 2013/05/25
    cspgsl Lifetime Subscription

cspgsl Geek Member Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo B57 laptop running Win 7 Pro.

Without warning it lost the ability to connect to the internet. The device manager showed the yellow exclamation mark on the network controller. I reinstalled the latest versions of the LAN, WLAN and Power Manager drivers and device manager showed no outstanding issues.

Currently I have a network cable plugged in at the moment and the sys tray network icon shows that I am connected to the wireless network and have internet access (which I do not).

My wireless network icon in the system tray shows I am connected to the internet. When I click on it, rather than giving me a selection of networks to connect to or the link to the Network and Sharing option, it opens Firefox. :confused: That is a totally new one on me...

I can connect to my other computer on my network but it shows that there is no Homegroup available. I also opened advanced sharing options and everything was greyed out. I searched and found that if I disabled Media Center and Media Player in Turn off Windows features, I was able to access and change advanced settings again.

When I open the Network and Sharing window, I see that I am connected to my network (a Home network) and that I am connected to the internet (which I am not) but there is no indication that I am connected to the LAN. That is, until I unplug the cable and plug it back in. At that point, it shows that I have no internet access from either connection. When I run the network diagnostics, a window opens indicating that I have to complete the logon process. When I click the Show me where link, Firefox opens attempting to open Microsoft.com but of course it fails to open the page.

Any guru's care to weigh in on this one?:D Thanks in advance

Last edited: 2013/05/25
  2. 2013/05/25
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

I think, that you should do a new setup on either wireless or wired.
    If you have wireless then why not re-configure your wireless setup and maybe you need a USB Dongle to help it along, they are cheap enough to buy.
    Usually Laptops are best setup wireless.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/05/25

A new setup of what?

5. 2013/05/25
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

I would check with Broni to see if you are free of Spyware/Malware before I changed any settings at all.

kind regards,

6. 2013/05/26

Thanks but in the end it was more expedient to backup and reinstall Windows

I had done the various scans to determine if it was infected earlier (I should have mentioned it) but there was nothing evident.

In any event, my problem is solved