1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by seafoodshanty, 2010/10/30.

1. 2010/10/30
    seafoodshanty Lifetime Subscription

seafoodshanty Inactive Thread Starter

I have a Dell Vostro 1700 that is running vista home basic. Could not get windows to run. I used f8 to run startup repair but it says it cannot repair. I then attempted to use system restore but it reported that there were no restore points saved.

Can you help?

2. 2010/11/01
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?

See if you can run CHKDSK (Error Checking) on the hard disk drive. There might be options in the BIOS (startup configuration settings) for testing the HDD.

Here is what MS have
    What to do if Windows won't start correctly

Read in the User Guide/manual, here is what Dell say
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&docid=347576&l=en&s=gen

If Startup Repair and System Restore won't work, there are not a lot of options remaining, especially if a Windows DVD was not supplied. You can check through other suggestions we have made
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/search.php?searchid=530481
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/search.php?searchid=530479

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/11/01

Safe Mode

I was able to get the system up in safe mode.
    It then said it encountered a critical problem and shut down (I couldn't read the entire message because it happened so quickly).
    The system then brought up startup repair which ran. It then ran chkdsk automatically.
    Chkdsk seemed to stall in verifying indexes at 32% complete for about 10 minutes. It then said it recovered two orphaned files (?) and completed.
    The system then tried to restart. The MS screen with the moving lines came up and I let it run for over 20 minutes but nothing further happened so I shut it down manually.
    I couldn't follow the BBS links you gave as they returned a could not find.
    It seems obvious that I may not get this up again. I do not have a system disc.
    Is my only option to purchase another OS?
    Thankfully I did backup my files but now need to move on.
    Any suggestions?

5. 2010/11/01
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

It is normal for chkdsk to stall and hang in a few places. Anyway, it sounds like it didn't find much. The first test I would carry out is your memory, follow this guide.

If this proves your memory is at fault then replacing the sticks should put an end to the problem.

The next test will be to download disk diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturers site, burn to a CD and run the test.

If during reapirs you need to use the OS disc, borrowing a copy will be OK as long as it is exactly the same version as you have the 'Product Key' for.

Last edited: 2010/11/01
  6. 2010/11/01

Memory test

Sorry, I'm not sure how to do this download if I can't get windows to run. I really am a novice at this. I don't know where the memory sticks are located nor how to get at them to clean.

There is no OS disk available to borrow. I have xp on one machine and 7 on another.

At one point someone set up a backup partition D on the harddrive but I have no idea if this is useful in this situation or not.

7. 2010/11/01
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

That's good, you have two PC's, so make the diagnostic disc on the PC that is working.

If you go to the Dell support site you will find your laptop and should be able to view the manual on line, this will show you how to get at the memory sticks. They are usually under a small cover underneath.

If the memory is the problem then it should be possible to do a Recovery install from the back up partition. On the other hand if the memory is OK it is quite likely that your hard drive is failling so you may need to get a new OS disc. Lets get the memory tested first and go from there, just follow the guide in post 4.

Last edited: 2010/11/01
  8. 2010/11/01

Memory test

I'm sorry to be so dense. I downloaded the mem test to cd but have no idea how to get it to run on the computer. I did locate the memory sticks and cleaned the contacts. Still cannot get into windows.

My wife located a dell os disk for vista. Should I run it?

9. 2010/11/01
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

To run the mem test reboot the PC with the disc in the CD drive and follow the prompts.

Did you try to run the PC with just one memory stick, then swap and try again as per my instructions. This is listed to do before running the mem test as it might isolate the problem without any further testing being required.

You can try to run that disc if you wish but if your memory is faulty it will more than likely crash and if the hard drive is faulty it will still fail. It would be better to try and find the cause of the problem before trying to reinstall.

10. 2010/11/02

Memory swap

Sorry, yes I did try replacing one with the other and then each of them alone. The computer went directly into startup repair each time and returned it was unable to fix. It then shut down.

11. 2010/11/02
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

OK, this is starting to point more towards a hard drive fault, but as you already have the mem test it would be wise to run it just to be sure the memory is OK.

Next You need to get access to your hard drive to see what make and model it is. Then find the manufacturers site and look for "hard drive diagnostics ". As with the mem test you will need to download the image file and burn it to disc. Then boot the PC with the disk in the drive.

After these two tests have been run we should know what the problem is.

12. 2010/11/02

Memory test

I couldn't get the test to run.
    Should I start the machine with the disk in the drive?
    As soon as I start the machine, it goes right to startup repair and then finishes by shutting down.
    Do I need to change the startup settings?

13. 2010/11/02
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Yes:) as I said in post 8.

It should work, but if not, you will have to go into the Bios and change the first boot device to the CD drive.

14. 2010/11/03
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I hope markmadras can give you some help, but for your question
    No, the HDD has a hidden partition that will reinstall Windows to "factory condition ". Read in the Dell link from my post #2.

Sorry, I checked about it and you cannot link to search results. Do an advanced search of the Vista forum for the term Startup Repair.

Matt

15. 2010/11/03

Memory test

I tried instructing to run from the cd but still no start.
    I did run the diagnostics I found when I used f12. They returned the following errors:
    Memory error code 2000-0148
    I also ran the suggested tests for unable to start os, the result was:
    SATA disk s/n = 5ma3sa82 smart long self test error code 0f00:075d, ide device failed read portion of test.
    SATA disk read test failed error code 00f0-0244, uncorrectable data error.
    SATA disk verify test failed error code 0f00-1a44.

I hope this is useful.

16. 2010/11/03
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

The first error code points to your CD drive but this error may be corrected with a new OS installed. I am a bit concerned that the mem test would not run. If you burned the CD as an .ISO as per my instructions it should work, if you burned it as data then that would explain it not working.

The error codes for the hard drive test all indicate that your hard drive is failing and should be replaced. As long as your CD drive is OK you will then be able to re-install the OS and all the drivers from the Dell OS disc.

There are clear instruction on the Dell site in the user manual that show you how to replace the drive, it is a fairly easy process.

Let us know how things go.

17. 2010/11/03

Memory test

I'll try to rerun the cd. It's certainly possible that I didn't do it correctly.
    Meanwhile I'll get a new hard drive and get back to you.
    Thanks for your help.

18. 2010/11/03
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

OK, please let me know how you get on.

19. 2010/11/05

New hard disk

I just received the new hard disk. Any advice before I install it?
    I have a Dell os recovery disk and a Dell drivers disk. Is there any way to access the files on the old hard disk? The machine has two hard disk slots but only one was being used.
    Just thought I'd ask before I start.

20. 2010/11/06
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Follow this guide to set up the new hard drive.

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step-20-prepare-the-hard-drives/

Once you have everything up and running you can put the old drive back into the spare slot (with the power off), reboot and you should then be able to see the drive and its contents using windows explorer.

21. 2010/11/07

New wrinkle

I read the article you provided and tried to set up using the o/s Reinstallation cd from Dell. The article doesn't refer to vista but I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that if XP used the cd to format the hard drive, vista would also. Things seemed to proceed OK until the fifth and last step. The installation is seemingly stuck in "completing installation ". It gets about 2/3 of the way through and stops.
    It remained in the same position for well over an hour. I had to leave and when I returned there was a black screen with the cursor arrow on it.
    I could move the arrow with the touchpad but nothing else worked. I finally shut it down.
    Is there any hope?