1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

spy bot

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by neil, 2003/04/29.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/04/29
    neil

neil Inactive Thread Starter

I have been using s&d for months now, and suddenly it is mired in mollasses. veeery slow. Take more than hour. It is normal in Safe Mode,4 or 5 mins. although it never seems to find anything in safe mode.
    I unchecked window maximizer,and cache sentry (latest additions)
    from start up.and reinstalled spy bot. No improvement. I recently installed the latest ms updates. Could that have anything to do with it??

thanks for any suggestions:
    neil:(

neil,
  2. 2003/04/29
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

hi neil

i don't know if it is impacting your Spybot installation, but those mistersoftee critical updates really bogged down my win2000 machine, and even an uninstall didn't put humpty back together again.

fortunately it is my practice (not exclusively but often enough) to create an image of my entire hd prior to taking a walk on the ms wild side.

i retored the good image and went right back to sweet.

that said, the ms critical updates did *not* jam me up on either winxp or win98se, which i also run.

fwiw

:)

mark

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/04/30
    neil

I'm not sure what to do next. I removed start up programs one at a time, amd restored them one at a time. Only thing that cured problem was when I removed McAfee from start up. But then I don't have av available. Wonder if reinstalling McAfee may help. If not, I can always run S&D in safe mode. How do I explain this to my dog?? :confused: :confused:
    neil

neil,
  5. 2003/04/30
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

couple things...

you said you installed the ms updates, then the molasses kicked in. then you noted the things that you tried, but you did not say that you removed the updates. just a thought, but the updates might be the prob.

as for mcafee looking guilty (per your posted troubleshooting), if you've had it all along and no prob, then it might not be the guilty party.

another question/suggestion...

how frequently do you remove temp internet files, clear cach, cookies, etc. tons of that junk can create ultra slow performance.

and what about defragging? same effect there, if you don't defrag regularly. personally i never let any of my drive partitions get more than 5% fragmented before i go in and make it all better again.

just some thoughts...

mark

6. 2003/04/30
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

The problem with Search & Destroy is a common one with the newest updates. It gets stuck scanning for C2.lop, and there is a work around until he gets if fixed. What you need to do is run it in Advanced Mode. You may be able to access this mode by Start\Programs\Spybot Search & Destroy\Spybot [advanced].
    You can edit the Desktop shortcut, right click on it, look in the Target line, you may see "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /easymode, just edit out the /easymode. Note the placement of the quotation marks, they must stay there. The link below has what it looks like when it is in Advanced.
    You can locate where it is installed in Windows Explorer and just double click the SpybotSD file and get the Advanced Mode.
    When it opens, go to Excludes, click on the All Products tab, then put checkmarks on both C2.lop entries. Your detection scan should go much faster now.
    One thing about the below link, it shows how to do an exclude, but the detection process has to be complete to do that way.
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/index.php?lang=en&show=pic&page=knowledgebase/howto/howto-exclude
    You might find some other Tools that you did know existed in it.

7. 2003/04/30
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

hey mark

i thought that got fixed with the 4/28/03 detections update... at least C2.lop is listed in that update under spyware as an improved target detection.

that said, i did just read on the forum that one user still gets a hang on C2.lop.

i have never had that prob with SB, fortunately.

does neil have the 4/28/03 includes update?

edit in: i see that neil is now getting well-qualified assistance on the Spybot forum from cnm. hope he finds an answer...

mark

Last edited: 2003/04/30
  8. 2003/04/30
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Thank you, mr.mark. I had checked for updates about three days ago, it seems I missed it by one day. Maybe the other user is in the dark about it, too?
    I noticed that neil has a ton of stuff installed from online virus scans in his Hijack This log. Panda, Norton, Housecall, Bitdefender, not to mention other stuff and things I couldn't readily identify.
    Neil, I think you should do some serious registry cleaning, as there is no telling what else is bloating it.
    Regcleaner

9. 2003/04/30
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

hi mark

between the SB work around and the Regcleaner recommendation, you've provided neil with some very sound advice.

i can attest to Regcleaner's "beauty "... no other word for it. except maybe, dependability. when Regcleaner tells me it's safe to delete certain entries, i have extreme confidence in doing so.

mark

10. 2003/05/01
    neil

I do reg cleaner frequently, although I am timid about removing things . If it says new, and I regognize it I delete, also when says ok to delete N/A files, I do that. Then do an automatic or "do them all" I suppose there's other stuff i should delete, but with my luck it might be my social security files.
    neil

neil,
  11. 2003/05/01
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

Regcleaner will show you, on that page, all of the software registered to your registry. the program's instructions are to delete the entry if you no longer have it... and still caution should be advised, due in part to dependencies.

your remark, "If it says new, and I regognize it I delete ", leads me to believe that you are treating Regcleaner as if it were like Ad-aware or Spybot, i.e, displaying items to you that should be removed. this is not the case... at least until you run the Registry Cleanup tool.

and it is at this point (running the Registry Cleanup tool) that you remark, "Then do an automatic or "do them all" I suppose there's other stuff i should delete, but with my luck it might be my social security files "... thus leading me to be concerned that you might be deleting entries when you shouldn't, and not deleting entries when you should.

check your Regcleaner settings...

Options/Registry Cleanup/Backup/Create only one backup file

if i am not mistaken, the Regcleaner default for this setting is "Don't create any backups "

it's a good plan to have Regcleaner create backup files so that you can add them back to the registry if you wish.

hth

mark

12. 2003/05/01
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

just ran across another workaround (dated 2003-04-19) posted by TonyKlein on the dslreports security forum....

"As a workaround, in SpyBot, go to Excludes > Products > Cookies, and put a check mark in the C2.Lop box. That way SpyBot will be able to complete trhe scan. "

mark

13. 2003/05/04
    neil

I haven't died, and went to Silicon Valley. Been trying suggestions to best of ability. So far; uninstalled Q813489, put check in C2.lop, don't see 4/28/03 update in history, selected all
    automatic cleanup entries, and N/A.entries, and hit "restore back up "in reg cleaner.

4th down, time to punt.

neil :eek: :eek:

14. 2003/05/04
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

thanks for posting back.

i don't know if this is a valid indicator or not, but the smilies in your posts went from :( to :eek: ...

looks like a minor improvement?

seriously, if there has been any change from your original problem.... "I have been using s&d for months now, and suddenly it is mired in mollasses. veeery slow. Take more than hour "... we'd like to hear.

[edit in: btw, i don't really understand what you are saying here, or why you did it... "selected all automatic cleanup entries, and N/A.entries, and hit "restore back up "in reg cleaner ".]

good luck

mark

Last edited: 2003/05/04
  15. 2003/05/05
    neil

Mark:

In one of your replies cautioned that I "might be deleting entries when I shouldn't, and not deleting entries when I should. "
    That's why I restored all the automatic deletions, and the ones marked NA. I restored 266 entries. Still same problem.

neil :eek: :confused:

16. 2003/05/05
    mr.mark

mr.mark Inactive

hello neil

this is the post of yours that concerned me. to be honest, i am not so sure that you should be using RegCleaner. i could be wrong, but you do not appear to have a good grasp of the program's functionality.

in your own words...

"I do reg cleaner frequently, although I am timid about removing things . If it says new, and I regognize it I delete, also when says ok to delete N/A files, I do that. Then do an automatic or "do them all" I suppose there's other stuff i should delete, but with my luck it might be my social security files. "

several comments in the above post disturb me, and i have tried to point them out to you. but perhaps i am not doing a very good job.

you also keep mentioning "the ones marked NA " and "ok to delete N/A files ". this confuses me, neil. i use RegCleaner 4.3, Build 780... not the absolute newest, but still quite functional. and there are no NA or N/A entries listed.

also, you have noted that you , "hit "restore back up "in reg cleaner "... and the version i run does not have that option listed.

long story short, i get the feeling you and i may be on two different wavelengths... possibly even using two different programs... and i no longer feel confident providing you with suggestions involving the registry.

arbitrarily removing then replacing 266 reg entries sounds a bit too much like brute force methods to me, and it concerns me if you think i recommended that action.

i know you have lots of folks providing suggestions, neil, so in the spirit of too-many-cooks-can-spoil-the-stew, i'm bowing out.

good luck

mark

17. 2003/05/11
    Angel1

Angel1 Inactive

Hi Neil,
    PepiMK has made a fix for the C2Lop problem recently and it helped me and most people. In order to get the download you have to go to settings>settings>web updates and put a checkmark in also show beta updates. Then click on "online" and check for updates. (You can uncheck the beta part after you get the update).
    Here is a link to Pepi's thread:
    http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3ebf0d0b71e0ffff;act=ST;f=24;t=3075

Also, Mikey said in one post if it runs okay in safe mode, then it is most likely a resource problem (are you running Windows 98?).

I hope the fix helps you.

Sincerely, Angel1

18. 2003/05/12
    neil

thanks angel.

problem still exists: I received great advice/help from Mark on this forum, and cnm in spybot forum.
    new wrinkle: when i download updates, I get following msg.for any downloads. "HTTP/1.1 404 not found "

Works fine in safe mode. On line, spybot hesitates at many points too many to list here, such as 33/6858, all way to 145/6858 and beyond. am using W98.
    neil
    :(

19. 2003/05/12
    Lonny Jones

Lonny Jones Inactive Alumni

Hi neil
    Would you try something ,if you havent already, instead of useing spybots mmm update wizard, for lack of a better word, press the
    online button over on the left, then search for updates, without setting a mirror , the first time a mirror may already be selected,

I other words when I press online then even try to use select a mirror it wont,, It used to, until I use its update wizard.

if still problem you may just need to uninstall clean up afterwards and rebooot , reinstall, as described at spybot forum .

Lonny

20. 2003/05/12
    Angel1

Angel1 Inactive

Hi neil,
    Here's another link from Spybot re that download message (one of the site's is down). Only read from May 9.

http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3ebd4d3706f7ffff;act=ST;f=28;t=2808

Basically, after you click "online" and "check for updates" you can then click on the down arrow to select another mirror. If that doesn't work, there is a link in that thread to manually download the update and install it.

I'm glad at least it's working properly in safe mode.

Sincerely, Angel1

21. 2003/05/13
    neil

spybot

Angel and Lonny:

thanks for info. I used pure-elite and downloaded three updates.
    Still works great in 'safe mode'.
    neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.