1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved spurious error notification

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Sebastian42, 2010/09/03.

1. 2010/09/03
    Sebastian42

Sebastian42 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

There is a program (TK8) which triggers 'expected newer windows version - update' when I try to install it in WinMe, yet the vendors are adamant that it can run in WinMe. In fact they say that the text of the 'error' notification does not even occur in the code. I would very much like to have it run in WinMe, so I need help 1. to discover what already-installed software/driver might be triggering the notification and 2. devise a work-around. Is that available ?

2. 2010/09/09
    tomw

tomw Inactive

You need to specify whichTK8 application you want to use. It may need a 'runtime' library that is not on your computer, which the vendor expects everyone to have. An example is the MSVCRT series, which is the Microsoft Visual C Run Time.
    The vendor may expect everyone to have the libraries, correct version, and you have an older version, or a newer version due to installation of another program. You might go to MSFN.ORG and look for the kernel extension program:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/130936-kernelex-45-rc-2/

tom

tomw,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/09
    Sebastian42

After trying it themselves, the vendors have conceded that TK8 (3.3) will NOT install/run in WinMe. They promised to alter their claim that it will, but refuse to give me access to a version that DOES/DID install/run in WinMe. I have NOT found away around that restriction. It's annoying, because of all the stategies and programs I have tried, a WinMe-compatible TK8 is the most promising (and untried) way of solving my need/wish. I can not believe that a WinMe-compatible TK8 no longer exists, but I don't know how to get it.

5. 2010/09/10
    tomw

tomw Inactive

Well, that sounds pretty conclusive from their viewpoint. You should check out the effort to make software run on 98/98se/ME using the above link. You would be surprised what will work. You may have to change the registry entry to indicate you have a later version of Windows running than you actually use.
    I have gotten Firefox and Seamonkey 2 to work on a 98SE machine without significant effort. ME should be even better. With the program, kernelex, you can specify 'compatibility mode' to be NT, W2K, XP to satisfy the program. Not sure if it goes past XP.
    tom

tomw,
  6. 2010/09/10
    Sebastian42

That sounds very interesting and useful information to be kept in store for future unpredictable occasions. On this specific issue, I have now tried the available TK8 in WinXP, to solve the same problem as occurs in WinMe It turns out that it is as laborious to use TK8 for my purpose as to use nothing and just do manually what I was hoping I could avoid. At the risk of being reprimanded for introducing a different thread into an old one, for YOUR benefit I want to explain my (erstwhile) interest in TK8. When I 'enter'
    http://mybroadbandusage.virginbroadband.com.au/#usage, NO credentials are prompted, however if it is http://webmail.virginbroadband.com.au/?_task=mail that I enter, an almost identical page displays, but the credentials CAN be prompted. The latter URL has a greater security risk than the former, so it is odd. Anyway, I would like credentials prompted for USAGE, just like they are for WEBMAIL. I KNOW that Password Managers like KT8 and LastPass and Password Manager CAN make that URL prompt logon credentials, but going that way is as labour intensive, as just typing in the credentials myself. My best hope lies in BOOKMARKLETS but the ones I have tried so far have not worked (despite claiming success). My apologies for the 'breaking' of protocol.

7. 2010/09/11
    tomw

tomw Inactive

Do you think if you got rid of all cookies from the site that it might prompt for credentials for the #usage link? Seems that it is somehow remembering who you are, and cookies are one mechanism to retain that knowledge.
    tom

tomw,
  8. 2010/09/11
    Sebastian42

I have been pursuing this issue in forums for quite a while and one kind soul actually tried it out in a number of browsers on different PCs, and the end result is the same - for USAGE, credentials are NOT prompted, and for Webmail they are; so I don't think doing anything with cookies will have the effect you 'hope' for. I will make the effort after I discover that it has a good chance of succeeding.

9. 2010/09/12
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

How are you connecting to the mybroadbandusage page (ie what type of connection are you using a dongle / cable etc)

10. 2010/09/12
    Sebastian42

The signal comes into the 'house' wirelessly, there is an ethernet cable from the modem to the WinMe PC in which I usually want to view Usage. That modem is also a router (?) and my WinXP PC connects wirelessly to it. In BOTH WinMe and WinXP the USAGE page refuses to prompt credentials, and Webmail prompts them.

11. 2010/09/12
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

OK, When using my dongle (wireless with 3 Mobile) I can access all my account information without having to log in (I assume the network ID's my account from info the dongle supplies). Perhaps your Modem/Router uses the same technique?

EDIT: Just to clarify, when accessing my 3 account via my home cable connection login details are required.

12. 2010/09/12
    Sebastian42

Thank you.

13. 2010/09/12
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

No problem,

I do however see your concerns. Since your modem/router can be connected wireless I would suggest you post the manufacturer/model details in General Security to ensure your wireless network is secure. Post a link to this thread to give the experts there some background.

With my particular connection the dongle is connected via USB and has no wireless router security issues, also the information I can obtain is only how much data/sms/balance I have available and the ability to top up (it's a pay as you go account).

I'm not sure how much information is available via your virgin account so, as you implied earlier security could be a concern.

In the meantime may I suggest you mark this thread as resolved as your issues are with a 3rd party software supplier, your ISP or not relevant to this particular board.

Last edited: 2010/09/12
  14. 2010/09/12
    Sebastian42

I think you may have misunderstood my concerns. I mentioned security only in paradox. I think that of the two, Webmail is more worthy of security than Usage, whereas Webmail is easier to access through a security breach. Thank you for your help. I will mark this as solved.