1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Spooler error event id: 7031

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by snhnic, 2004/11/22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/22
    snhnic

snhnic Inactive Thread Starter

Edit note: split this from the thread Here so you can see details of what the user tried by clicking on that link. I put this into a thread of it's own because the problems don't appear identical. Different event log errors. Newt

Got the same question did alle the above mentioned things, but no luck!

It is driving me nuts! Please help. What esle can be the problem?

=====
    Date: 22-nov-04 Source: Service Control Manager
    Time: 4:40:35 PM Category: none
    Type: Error Event ID:7031
    User: N/A
    Computer: me

The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

==============

Also I deleted all my printers with Cleanspl.exe: (Spooler Cleaner). No luck with that to. Then I thought of doing a selective startup but with almost nothing running still the same results, after a few minutes my printspooler went off. Help, help, this is so annoying!

2. 2004/11/22
    Newt

Newt Inactive

So you ran sfc /scannow, removed the printer and reinstalled after a reboot, and ALL of the items mentioned in the other post?

Unfortunately, This error is not specific to the Print Spooler service but it is being generated by the Service Control Manager when it detects that a specific service terminated improperly.

You will need to look for other events that are specific to the Print Spooler service. I find that easier to do if I clear the event logs so there is less clutter to wade through.

Meanwhile, you can try going into properties for that service and setting it to have the system restart the service on the first two failures (not the third though) so things will hopefully keep running while you look for more information.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/23
    snhnic

5. 2004/11/23
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Well, the 7034 at the top looks interesting and details would be nice. Open the event, click on the icon below the up/down arrows (sends a text copy to the clipboard) and paste it here.

The error just off screen at the bottom might be interesting as well.

That's quite a few Service Control entries at about the same time and even though most of the ones in the picture are informational, might be nice to look at one of each of those as well.

Newt,
  6. 2004/11/24
    snhnic

This was the error in the event viewer "system" tab

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7034
    Date: 23-Nov-04
    Time: 7:36:02 PM
    Computer: SNHNIC
    Description:
    The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 4 time(s).

==================

This was in the application section a few minute before the system error: 7034

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 101
    Date: 23-Nov-04
    Time: 7:34:28 PM
    Computer: SNHNIC
    Description:
    wuauclt (3968) The database engine stopped.

Perhaps they are related? I will follow the solution of moving the print spooler folder as well. Cross my fingers for that one. See in the other post http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?p=201316#post201316. Sorry for the double post, Thought it was better to make ik a new thread, because more people would read.

Greetings,
    Stray Cat

7. 2004/11/24
    snhnic

MS Office seems to be the problem

Well I almost formated my disk, but in al last strange moment I decided to deinstall MS Office 2003 Pro. I saved my settings and started deinstalling, leaving Frontpage 2003 and my Proofing tools installed.

The reason I made this decision was because "Outlook.exe" was in my processes everytime I restarted the PC. I thought that was strange, I never told XP to startup Outlook. It could be an infection from a virus or spyware and to be on the safe side I checked the PC and deinstalled Office. Strange side-effect was that the service "Print Spooler" kept on running after I started the PC again and went on to my original problem ( "Print Spooler" shut down!). It did not start automatic but when I started it, it remained running. Wow, I'm pleased that this very annoying bugger problem seems to be gone! :)

Because I'm a frequent user of MS Office I installed it over again, kept my fingers crossed, installed all the updates. Restarted and put back my settings. At this point the Print Spooler was not running. So I started the service from a command prompt (cmd: net start spooler).

Yes, it was running and is still running after half an hour! Great, now the next step. How can I make ik so that the Print Spooler starts up without my help? The service is starting in "automatic" mode but does still not load at startup? Well I can make a batch for it, but that's not the way. Well this is not a real problem anymore. So lets close this one! If you have the same problem, don't just follow all the steps MicroSoft provided. But look also at MS Office, this did the trick for me! Why I can't say, perhaps someone else knows that one! Corrupt files? Files from hell? Well let us keep in mind that it is MicroSoft that's running the show!

Greetings and thanks,
    Eric :)

8. 2004/11/24
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

i do not have very high confidence that you have identified the culprit yet.

I think you have a bad print monitor (which cleanspl doesnt remove)
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

Let us know if it comes back

9. 2004/11/27
    snhnic

problem back again

Well it seems you are right. Suddenly the problem was back again. So I tried your sollution and manualy cleaned the monitor in my registry, but no luck there. Then I uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled it, this time without the updates. The problems is now becoming annoying as funny as well, this because after starting the printspooler it was active for the complete day. This morning I had to reboot and after manualy starting the printspooler it went off within a minute! Conclusion MS office deinstalling and reinstalling will work untill a reboot? How strange this is. The force is strong in this one.

Other suggestions? :confused:

10. 2004/11/27
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

Are you getting a dump? Can you run it through the analyzer (link in my sig)

11. 2004/11/28
    snhnic

At this point it has no use. Printspooler running for many hours and also after a reboot. But as soon as it is in error I will give a sign to your with a possible dump file.

12. 2004/11/29
    Dman33

Dman33 Inactive

You may want to check the following registry key for any printers that should not be installed.
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
    (I have no idea why a space character is appearing in the word "Printers "!)

I had a very similar issue (except this was on a Citrix Metaframe server) and it turns out that there was a print device listed there which was autocreated from a client printer and never purged. I think there was something invalid in that registry entry because as soon as I deleted it, the spooler service worked fine.

Good Luck.
    -Dman33

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.