1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Speeding up Windows 98 and Computer

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by jordoe28, 2006/03/24.

1. 2006/03/24
    jordoe28

jordoe28 Inactive Thread Starter

For months now I've been attempting to try and speed up my grandpa's old, piece of junk computer. It's only running Windows 98 Standard Edition, and only has 64MB of Ram.

The computer was constantly freezing up, however I went into System, and turned the Graphics Accelerator to None, and the freezing has somewhat stopped.

He got the computer used from a family member, and the registry really needed cleaning up so I purchased Registry Mechanic 5.1 and cleaned that up.

I ran the computer in Diagnostics Mode (safe mode) and did a full system disk check, and a system defragment.

We frequently do spyware and virus scans and empty out his internet files.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to get his computer in the best shape it can. He's too cheap to even buy a $300 computer, and we don't have the Windows Installation CD so I can't cleanly install Windows unless there is another way. H eonly uses the computer for Email, Internet (pogo games, lol hes addicted) and that's about it. He just wants it to run without the constant worries of it freezing, or being too slow to use.

2. 2006/03/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Best advice - add more RAM - up to 512 Mb max.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/03/24
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

There is only so much blood you can squeeze out of turnips.

If you can get more ram into it, by all means do.

I just sold a friend an old Packard Bell 133mzh pc that wouldn’t do more than 64 megs of ram. He installed XP on it anyway…..

5. 2006/03/24
    jordoe28

I might have used the wrong wording. It's not so much that I want to make it faster, and I don't think I need more ram. He just views simple webpages, and emails. We just want it to stop freezing up.

6. 2006/03/24
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I am currently refurbishing two old computers, a PII/350 + 64 MB RAM and a PIII/450 + 128 MB RAM. Both have Windows 98SE and Office 97. These computers run PC100 SDRAM and they are not cheap (in Sweden at least) but I had a few sticks lying around. Both computers now have 2 x 128 MB and it makes a difference.

What I also did was to set a minimum size to the swap file. "Windows Managed" means that it gets constantly resized from zero to what is needed at the moment. Setting a sensible minimum size prevents most of the resizing. I set these two computers to 256 MB (same as RAM) and that too makes a difference.

(There are more tweaks to do. I learnt them while struggling with Windows ME a few years ago but I don't remember them anymore.)

Luckily, all original CD's came with the computers so, I can take them from square one.

Christer

7. 2006/03/24
    Christer

I think you do need more RAM, in combination with the swap file tweaking. Think about it, when that computer was new, all applications were pretty "light weight" but slap on modern FireWall or AntiVirus software and the RAM will vanish like ice in Kalahari.

What you experience when it freezes is most likely Windows resizing the page file.

Christer

8. 2006/03/24
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

To avoid possibly running out of RAM, you need to reduce any startup programs loading or running in the background.

Investigate the programs that are in the system tray (next to the time). You can usually open the main program and stop them from running at startup by going to the Tools -> Options menu.

Do Ctrl-Alt-Del and see what programs are running. You can use msconfig (enter it into Start -> Run) and disable programs from running at startup.

You can see RAM utilization in Control Panel -> System -> Performance (tab)...percent free.

You have had some success with reducing the graphics performance (it may be going into running background programs). Find the model of the graphics card (should be listed in Device Manager under Display Adapter or use Everest in my signature). Find and install the latest drivers.

On an older machine use DirectX version 8.1.

You should be able to trim down running programs so that the 64mb of RAM handles the load easily.

Matt

Last edited: 2006/03/24
  9. 2006/03/25
    Christer

Hi Matt!

For once (?) we disagree ... :eek: ... but you may have more experience with Windows 98 than I do. A few years back, I reinstalled an old computer (233 MHz - 64 MB) which ran 98SE and Norton SystemWorks 2002 (I guess). Using System Doctor to monitor and with nothing unnecessary running from startup, the 64 MB RAM was soon depleted and a lot of swapping was going on.

Christer

10. 2006/03/25
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hello Christer :)

I don't think we disagree. You either increase RAM to run the size/number of programs that you want to run or you reduce the size/number of programs that you load into RAM.

Systemworks...mmm... I diasble everything that runs in the background, although I think AutoUpdate will stay unless you uninstall all the base programs. I have uninstalled Norton AV twice on my sister's computer(s), because it slowed to a crawl when the file system was getting large. It runs like a racehorse without it. With some tutoring (eg., where viruses come from) she now runs antivirus manually.

Windows Updates (98) wants you to install IE 6, it has lots of "eye candy ", most suggestions refer to using FireFox (it has less vulnerabilities).

With 64MB of RAM, "lean and mean" would be the order of the day.

Matt

Last edited: 2006/03/25
  11. 2006/03/25
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

To play Pogo games you should add more memory. Updating the browser will help also.

http://www.pogo.com/misc/cc/archive/cc-2005-04.jsp?sls=2&site=pogo

12. 2006/03/25
    Christer

Matt,

Me too, everything Norton, except FW and AV is disabled from start up but I do use the utilities on certain occasions, such as when a 98 computer feels sluggish ... :cool: ... !

Christer

13. 2006/03/25
    jordoe28

I have tweaked the startup programs a lot. All he has running in the background is Zone Alarm and the necessary windows components. We do have AVG Anti Virus, however I don't allow it to run in the background because my grandpa rarely downloads things or goes to unfamiliar sites, so the risk is low. He mainly uses Pogo, the Winnipeg Sun, TBSource, and some various, familiar, news sites.

When I check the system's resources, or w/e the % says 80% free without having anything open besides Internet Explorer.

Again, he doesn't mind waiting for the games to load, he just doesn't like the sparatic freezes he gets. I turned off the graphics accelerator and the freezing seems to have practicly stopped.

I am interested in the tweaking my memory settings ? If anyone could elaborate on that?

14. 2006/03/25
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

From what you say he uses the computer for I have to disagree with the rest here. 64MBs of ram should be more than enough in my opinion. I used 98 for a couple years with only 64MBs and never had any slow downs that I could contribute to that fact. In fact, I added another 256MBs eventually and never noticed the difference except when I was using a graphics intense program of some sort. And, I'm one that has all kinds of stuff running all the time.

Besides all of that, even if 64MBs is on the minimal side, I see no reason why too little ram would cause a "freeze" if it's a freeze that requires you to reboot the computer. Is this what's happening? If so, a few more details would be nice. Almost anything can be the cause of a computer locking up. Could be software related, could be hardware related. What exactly is he doing at the time it freezes? How long between freezes? Can you see a pattern to when it happens or does it just seem to be a random thing?

You say turning off the graphics acceleration seemed to help some. Have you checked to see if there's a driver update available for it? If the computer seems to run slow when it comes to graphics type things (dragging a window for example) that would be due to the fact that you've turned off the graphics acceleration. You might go back and slide the slider up a notch or two. I don't remember all of the specifics for each notch, but I know if you reduce it by only a notch, it only has an effect on minor things (such as mouse cursors) but you still retain most of the functions of acceleration. Perhaps you don't have to have it all the way off. I believe you can click on the question mark in the upper right corner of the window where you reduce it and then click on the slider and it'll tell you what each notch does. I could be wrong as it's been a while but I seem to remember something like that.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to check and see if the rest of the drivers are up to date. Check for driver updates and get back to us. Also, post details of what he's doing at the time it freezes. Internet, MS Word, email, or whatever it is. Try to be specific. Don't know if it will help or not but the more info the better.

15. 2006/03/25
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

16. 2006/03/26
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Has anyone mentioned cleanup and Scandisk? I delete the folders inside the Windows\Temporary Internet Folders\Content.IE5 folder, they are remade when you reboot. You can delete everything in the Cookies folder, they just take a minute to reload when you revisit the site. Do Scandisk in Safe Mode.

When you are in Safe Mode, check all the listings in Device Manager. If there are multiple listings they should all be removed, it means that Windows has had trouble installing those drivers. You need to have the best drivers for that hardware available when you reboot.

Graphics drivers depend on chipset/motherboard drivers. Make sure you have the latest set of those.

Welshjim has a good list of registry checks. If you are not comfortable editing the registry use Hijack This.

Pogo games require 128MB of RAM. See if the problems occur after running those. Even if you close the program it is not released from RAM until you load something else to take it's place and by then the computer may be running on virtual memory on the HDD (look for high HDD activity or recheck the free memory).

More RAM...here we have markets and computer fairs where you could buy second-hand modules.

Matt

17. 2006/03/26
    Christer

Intending to reduce stuff running from startup, sticking with older drivers may be a good thing. The more recent drivers add stuff that you won't/can't use anyway (only on more recent cards) and only have to disable.

I noticed this while trouble shooting BSOD:s on XP. New graphics drivers didn't solve the problem but added some 10 MB to memory usage from startup. I could get rid of most of it but not all.

I believe this is true for all drivers, chip set and sound drivers too. If the hardware is supported by a specific driver and more recent drivers don't do anything for that hardware but more recent hardware only, why update? VIA actually recommends to stick with older drivers for older chip sets!

Christer

18. 2006/03/26
    jordoe28

Thank you all for your continued suggestions for this problem I'm having.

Christer: What happens with the freeze is this. It ONLY happens when I'm on the Internet. When it does, everything freezes. The clock, everything except the mouse pointer. I can move it all over the place but it doesn't change or highlight anything like say for example when I put it over the Refresh button, nothing gets highlighted to show I'm over it. It also might be helpful to mention that when I run a 3D screensaver, the computer will freeze up on the screensaver, but when I run something simple like Flying Windows, the computer will run for days without freezing.

I have never checked for driver updates? Not sure how to go about doing that?

To the others, yes I've run Scandisk many times, and even did a full surface scan, and it always says No Errors Found.

19. 2006/03/26
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Sorry to butt in, but here is my take.

64 MB is enough RAM for 98 to run Internet & email software (remember once a famous person said 640 kb RAM is enough...). Some of my clients are using 98 even now and on 32 MB.

Its how you use the RAM - that's important.

a) CONFIG.SYS - clean it up. If you are not using any DOS programs, comment out every single line in it & reboot. (use REM before every line). If its empty, good.
    b) AUTOEXEC.BAT - Again clean it up as a) above.
    c) Download, install & run CacheMem from http://www.outertech.com. This would allow you to tweak the RAM settings.
    d) Update your Windows. You can get most of the downloads in a single package from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html. A lively discussion on this update can be found at http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=52183.
    e) Turn on the anti virus & keep it on - you never know whats going to come up next.

20. 2006/03/26
    jordoe28

Could you elaborate on cleaning that up. How do I know what to change and what I don't need?

And what exactly do these programs do?

21. 2006/03/26
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT are the relics of MS-DOS era. CONFIG.SYS is a text file & was (is) used to load drivers and/or setup OS. It gets executed immediately after bootstraping and thus you could load all sorts of device drivers & configure your system (no.of files to be opened, buffer setting etc). AUTOEXEC.BAT is a batch file which gets executed immediately after the OS has loaded into the RAM. You can specify here programs to run after startup, set path etc. Since Windows 9x were built on top of MS DOS, these OSes had to deal with these files & execute them as they would have executed in MS-DOS (this was for backward compatibility).

Most of the commands in these files are MS-DOS specific (like FILES,BUFFERS) which have no meaning in Windows. So if you are not using any MS-DOS program or any hardware for whcih there is no Windows driver, you can safely delete this files (safer to comment out the lines - you can go back to them later if needed).

CacheMem is a program that allows you to control how you want to use the RAM installed on the computer. Just choose a profile from 'Profile Option' and it does the rest (BTW there is no need to run it continuously - goto 'Options' & unselect 'Load Cachemem on Windows Startup'.). After choosing a profile, run Wizards, save your settings & reboot.

The Windows update is the Unofficial Windows 98 SE 2.1 update. It contains most of the patches released by Microsoft for Win98SE in one place.