1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Sony Vaio] VGN-CS108E Unknown Webcam

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mlcastl, 2010/12/14.

1. 2010/12/14
    mlcastl

mlcastl Inactive Thread Starter

My webcam hasn't been getting recognized by any application, and when I looked under Devices and Printers it showed up as "Unknown Device ". I ran a troubleshoot on it and it tells me that it's been stopped because it has reported problems (Code 43).

It's not the first time it happens but the last time I really don't know if it was an actualization or something I did.

I already tried updating the motherboard bios, the chipset drivers and update the webcam driver.

Any help would be apreciated:)

2. 2010/12/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Welcome to WindowsBBS :)

I see you have exactly the same issue, word for word, posted on 2 other forums ....

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-software/54567-vgn-cs108e-unknown-webcam.html

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/968358-vgn-cs108e-unknown-webcam.html

While we are always wiling to help with any issue we do not appreciate the simultaneous posting of an issue around the forums - it is far from helpful from our point of view and that of the other forums in that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I'm sure you get the point.

As you have probably discovered .....
    As you have already updated the drivers - including the webcam software? you may be looking at a hardware failure.

We encourage all members to complete their System Specifications which help us to help you :) We have no indication of your OS - apart from the fact that your other thread was found by chance on the Windows7 BBS.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/12/14
    mlcastl

I'm sorry about it, my topics in cases like this are usually either ignored or unsolved so i got a bit too impatient with this thing :eek:

And I'm not very sure that is a hardware thing because it happened to me last august and suddenly it got fixed, and this saturday I was using it around 2pm but at 6pm the laptop didn't recognize the webcam.

My laptop's OS, indeed, is Windows 7 Professional.

5. 2010/12/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

One suggestion is to use System Restore to a date prior to the issue arising.

6. 2010/12/14
    mlcastl

Already did it and nothing :S

7. 2010/12/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Another thought ....

Go into Device Manager and uninstall the webcam under Imaging Devices and then do the Scan for hardware changes command "” no reboot. The scan should locate the driver and re-install it. See if it now works.

If it turns up as an Unknown Device right click on it > Scan for hardware changes again.

8. 2010/12/14
    mlcastl

Tried it a few times repeatedly but still hows it as an unknown device.

9. 2010/12/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

All I can suggest is that there is a fault with the webcam or the connections to it.

Does the web cam fail at all positions of the lid? If not it may be an dodgy connection.

Apart from that thought I have no others :(