1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Smartphone reset/update caused lost data

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by Vicki, 2016/04/20.

1. 2016/04/20
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just taking a shot in the dark as to whether or not anyone can offer some help.

I do not own a smartphone myself (too technical for me to use!:eek:) but my son (who lives 1200 miles away) just informed me that his phone had done a reset or update--he wasn't sure exactly--but it caused him to lose all of the pictures he had on it!

It's a Samsung Galaxy 6, possibly an "android" system?? and to my knowledge doesn't have an SD card, so must use internal storage? He hadn't backed-up anything to be able to retrieve any of his saved pictures.

Has anyone ever had this happen and was ever able to recover their pictures? All the reading I have done makes it sound not very hopeful. :(

Got my fingers crossed for him that something can be done!

Thanks everyone!

2. 2016/04/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Sounds like he did what is called a Factory Reset. He set it back to where it was when it came out of the box brand new.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If it's a Samsung S6 running Android, he had the option to use his Google account for storage or use a Micro SD card for external storage.
    Micro SD cards are not that expensive and are well worth using. He also could have synched with a/his comp and stored data and photos there. Usually a Factory Reset will clear the internal memory and there are adequate warnings about backing up first. If the system update was OTA and came in from Samsung, again there is an opportunity to schedule when you want it. I'm not sure whether there is an App (like Recuva) which he could try to find his photos. Horrible way to learn a lesson. Neil.

5. 2016/04/21
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Lesson learned....

Thinking that this will have to be chalked up as a "lesson learned ". He didn't have anything backed up/saved to his google account or cloud storage (or similar).

I'm guessing that it was something in an update (or similar) that caused this. He said when he woke up in the morning his phone was "resetting "....he hadn't even done anything with it before that started happening!:eek:

Thought it was strange that he lost all his pictures, but (most of) his phone contacts were still there? I was under the impression that a reset would wipe out everything??

I had considered him trying to find an app (like the one retiredlearner mentioned--Recuva) but he's short on patience and would probably make matters worse in trying!lol

Thanks again!
    ~Vicki

6. 2016/04/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

He should be able to stop Auto updates. In Samsung Galaxy S4 > Settings > More > About Device > Software updates > uncheck Auto update.
    In later versions, there will be a similar option. I've just had to renew the screen and digitizer assembly on my grandson's S4 (another student at College shoved him and he dropped the phone).
    I did a backup to my comp (using Kies) before dismantling the phone to renew the screen. All went OK and we never lost anything. Neil.