1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[SMART] warning on boot up

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hdb, 2009/09/26.

1. 2009/09/26
    hdb

hdb Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio desktop RX550, running windows xp home. 512mb ram, 1.5 ghz. Before I describe the problem I'm having, let me first say that I have run a virus scan and an anti spyware tool.
    When I boot up my pc, before the destop appears, I recieve a warning: Smart failure predicted on primary master WARNING: Immediatly back up all your data and replace your hard drive. A failure may be imminent. press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup

As this has been going on for about a week, I have done both options. When I press F2, the AwardBIOS setup utility appears with options like F5= setup defaults, F10= save and exit
    I have tried going through the setup using the F5 and then F10 but I still recieve the warning on every boot. Are there any experts that can help with this issue or give some insight into it? ( go easy with me, I'm not computer savy ) Thanks, Herb

hdb,
  2. 2009/09/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The warning is clear - your hard drive may be about to fail.

Back up your data pronto - then download the disk diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer - preferably the DOS version and test the hard drive - SMART data is not always reliable, but for the moment - believe it :)

Disk Diagnostic Software ....

ExcelStore

Hitachi/IBM

Samsung

Seagate, Maxtor, Quantum

Western Digital

If you don't know the make/model of the drive download SIW and go to Hardware > Storage Devices.

If you have a Toshiba drive you are out of luck with the diagnostics - shamefully Toshiba do not provide any.

3. to hide this advert.