1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Slow PC - sound stutters during Windows startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jparnold, 2006/12/11.

1. 2006/12/11
    jparnold

jparnold Inactive Thread Starter

My PC is over 3 years old but used to run much faster than it does now.
    My system is P4 2.4Ghz, 1Gb PC333 ram (1 X 512MB and 2 X 256MB sticks), 2 X 80Gb ATA100 Hard drives both partitioned into 2 logical drives. The C: drive is on a 3 month old drive. Windows XP home SP2 installed.AVG anti virus, ZoneAlarm, AC97 sound manager startup automatically.
    Examples of slow running -
    1) After selecting my username (there are 3 usernames set up) and entering my password as my settings are loaded and the workbench starts to display the default Windows music stutters.
    2) Often (not always but often) when I open (double click) MY COMPUTER the window is displayed instantly but it takes 4 to 5 seconds for the drives, devices etc to be dispalyed.
    3) Often (but not always) when opening a drive it takes a few seconds for anything to happen.
    4) Often (but not always)when closing an application (click on the X top right of window) if takes a few seconds for the application to close.
    5) Always takes ages (15 seconds +) to displayed installed software after selecting START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Please also note that I have had problems with the latest version of Ulead VideoStudio (video editor) crashing regularly which does not seem to be a problem with other owners of this software (I entered a post on VideoStudio forum and received replies stating this).

The above can occur even when no applications are open.

My PC has only recently started to display these symptoms.

Could I have hardware problems? Even though it is only 3 months since installing everything should I reformat and start again?

2. 2006/12/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello jparnold,

Does this behavior occur always, whether you're connected to the net or not?

The slow openning of Add/Remove can be speeded by unchecking the "Show Updates" at the top. That will not display MS updates. If you have never deleted any of the $NtUninstallKB... files in the Windows folder, all the updates from the beginning will be displayed if that box is checked.

This can only be narrowed down by disabling the running software one at a tiime. For ZA, shut it down and enable the Windows firewall.

For AVG, w/o going on line, disable it and run for a while.

Same with the sound manager.

Hardware: test the RAM http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Have you defragged lately?

Run chkdsk?

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/12/12
    jparnold

Thanks Charles,
    I have run a disk check and defrag just a few days ago.
    I have also run Microsoft Malicious software removal tool and AddAware both did NOT find anything.
    I have "show updates" UNchecked (in Add/Remove programs).

The problem does NOT always occur. Tonight I noticed that when Eudora downloaded my email and played the music it does when new mail has arrived, it also stuttered. But it doesn't happen all the time.

Also when I enlarged a window by dragging its sides out the window did not resize until 2 or 3 seconds after I dragged the edge out.

It is like the processor is running lots of other jobs at the same time and is giving little time to what I am doing OR as if my processor is running at around 200Mhz instead on 2.4 Ghz.

One thing I haven't tested is if the system is checking for software updates from the internet. I thought I had all those things turned off so maybe next time I power up I will firstly remove my router and cable modem (or switch them off). Is there a method to see what the processor is doing at such times as my PC is running slow?

John

5. 2006/12/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

John
    Open Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and look at the Processes tab. Click once or twice on the CPU column header to order with highest at the top and observe.

Alternatively ProcessExplorer from SysInternals, now a MS company, will give you more info

6. 2006/12/12
    Zykan

Zykan Inactive

Download System Mechanic from www.iolo.com (normal not pro version). You can ue this in full for 30 days and will allow you to save the changes.

This program will look for and clear up loads of stuff.....and if left to work in background, will also keep it that way.

7. 2006/12/12
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

It could possibly be a driver problem. I suggest updating your drivers starting from the chipset drivers, then the graphics drivers, then audio and any others if you think they may be involved.
    Don't use drivers from Windows Update and find original drivers if you think you have W/U versions.

Try running the tests and benchmarks at PCpitstop, www.pcpitstop.com, they may pinpoint an area. Sandra in my signature has several benchmarks.

Matt

8. 2006/12/14
    jparnold

Matt,
    I removed all drivers listed under Sound Video and Game Controllers and then insatlled EVERY driver which came with my Motherboard and...
    The stuttering sound problem has GONE!
    I wonder how drivers can get ******* up?
    Thanks for your help.

9. 2006/12/14
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

A change in the system that misdirects the normal workings (sounds technical at least :)). Installing software or drivers that rewrite the intended pathways (hey, I'm on a roll :D ). ....mmmm...magic?...no, only where Windows is concerned :D

Sometimes you can see a driver problem when that piece of hardware is being accessed (stuttering in your case?). Graphics problems may reveal themselves as hesitations or slowness in the same way. Chipset drivers...not easy :rolleyes: (basic faults, because these are the base drivers and are the overseers of other drivers).

You did well on reinstalling those drivers, although some drivers may need to have the associated software removed as well.

Then again, maybe it's magic :D

Matt