1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Slow Internet on Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by hawk22, 2015/12/28.

1. 2015/12/28
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I have googled this quite hard, but have not been able to find an answer that would apply to my situation.
    I have a cable modem years old and a WiFi Router that I am intending to change in the near future, Router is OK though.
    My Windows 8.1 64 bit machine is no slow coach by any means it runs on a AMD 4GHZ 8 Core CPU 250GB Samsung SSD and 16GB of Ram + 3TB WD black edition and the comp is fast in everything, except Internet speed.
    Now how do I know that, because I have a Win 7 comp that is faster, they are all hard wired, a old Dell Laptop running 7 on WiFi and that is twice as fast as the 8.1 machine Internet only and the worst part is I also have an old XP machine with 4Gig of Ram HDD almost full, the comp I would have refurbished last about 6 years ago and that absolutely kills the 8.1 machine in Internet speed otherwise it is as slow as a wet Hen.
    How can my WiFi be so much faster than hard wired Internet of the same Router and a old XP running rings around 8.1 in Internet speed.
    I have read many pages about slow WIFi on 8.1 but not wired.
    Stumped
    hawk22

2. 2015/12/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

LAN driver comes to mind. Have you tried to update them ?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/28
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member

From a DOS window, do a long ping and see if you get consistent replies.

For example:

Pinging yahoo.com [98.139.183.24] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=53
    Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=53
    Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=53
    Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=53

When I say a long ping, do about 25 or more pings

ping -n 25 yahoo.com

See the return times? (time=92ms) You're looking for consistency in those numbers. If you have it jumping from 50-500, etc, you might have some cable problems or layer 2 port issues. WiFi is capped somewhat compared to ethernet

Regards

5. 2015/12/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Bill, I just did a couple of Speed Tests http://www.speedtest.net/?test-2
    on my 2 Desktops and 1 HP Notebook.
    Very interesting results. My main comp is wired to Wireless/Router Modem and Ping was 3MS. The other comp is Wireless Adaptor and returned 3MS. The Notebook is Wireless and returned a Ping of 15 & 25ms.
    Funnily the Download and Upload on the 3 units were almost identical at DL 31.61 Mbps and the UPload at 9.33 Mbps.
    The 2 comps were using the Wellington Citylink (26 Km's away) and the Notebook used Prime Wireless in New Plymouth (about 200 Km's away).
    As you can see it's Midday here in NZ so traffic should be reasonably heavy. Neil.

6. 2015/12/29
    hawk22

Thank you rsinfo, yes to that, no updated drivers available

Neil, I have been doing that many speed tests, every one is different, funny enough though I am with Optus Cable and the Optus speed test is much faster than any other (I expected that). But the Australian Government Dep. of Communication gives me for Download between 2.43 and 4.73 Mbp/s and 0.13 to 0.92 Mbp/s for Upload.
    My Optus thinks I have Download speed 18.95 Mbp/s what a difference.

elcajongunsfan, Windows 8.1 inbuilt Firewall does not allow Ping test return,
    what is your opinion of the instructions given in the page below

http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-enable-ping-reply-response-in-windows-8-simple-steps

I have been tossing with the Idea of installing a PCI Nic-card, but don't know if that would make any real difference at all.
    Can you give me some advice on performing the ping tests that you recommend without turning the Windows Firewall off, I don't like that idea too risky.
    hawk22

7. 2015/12/29
    retiredlearner

Hi Bill, my Telco (2Degrees) can give me a boost speed for an extra $1o per month.
    If you use the OOKLA speed test, it shows a Ping test as I noted in my previous Post. Surely that is what you want? Neil.

8. 2015/12/29
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Various speed tests would give you varying results. You are basically downloading/uploading a small files from their servers. The server speed, the amount of traffic, the load on server etc. can each vary the speed.

That's news to me. Most of the firewall, by default, allow ping to go through as its the basic troubleshooting command.

Won't make much difference if your existing lan port is working ok.

9. 2015/12/29
    hawk22

Thanks again guys,

Neil I used the link that you provided and the results are as I complained about.

Windows 8.1 is blocking at times with results showing

ERROR Firewall is blocking connection to Server.
    Line Quality: F
    But then it would allow it again but with astonishing results.

Adelaide 400 miles Ping 1102 ms
    " " 1107 ms

Brisbane 850 miles Ping 934 ms
    " " 1078 ms

Taurunga 1700 miles Ping 1347 ms Jitter: 194 ms

Old XP machine same program

Adelaide Ping 22 ms Jitter 4 ms
    " " 23 ms
    " " 22 ms Jitter 3 ms
    " " 22 ms Jitter 4 ms

Brisbane Ping 40 ms Jitter 3ms
    " " 40 ms " 3ms

Pyrmont 450 miles Ping 29 ms Jitter 7 ms
    " " 27 ms Jitter 6 ms

I don't know what any of these figures mean all I can see that there is a huge difference.

hawk22

10. 2015/12/29
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Temporarily turn off the firewall and download a large file as a speed test. Don't use one of these flash or html5 speed test sites, use a large file from a fast server such as this one I found with a google search for "index of/large files ":

Microsoft_SQL_Express_2008_r2_SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe

I can download that file at 2.8 megabytes/sec. It's a fast server and a 75 megabyte file.

11. 2015/12/29
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Never had this problem either with XP, Vista, Win 7, Win8/8.1, Win10 or Linux. Something is wrong somewhere. Malware ?

12. 2015/12/29

Or maybe some game/app installed that has selectively closed certain ports?

Is he behind a router? Can he ping from other hosts?

13. 2015/12/30
    hawk22

OK, No I do not play games, there are no games present on this PC and there is no Viruses or Malware present either.

Steve, I have done your test and I think it is not bad, to download that file I did it twice and it was constant at 240 seconds so I think that would be 3MB per second is that correct.

elcajongunsfan, I have done your long ping test to yahoo.com as well and apart from 1 they are not that far apart one ping out of the 25 came up as 290ms
    apart from that one minimum was:

Minimum: 1033 ms
    Maximum: 1701 ms
    Average : 1320 ms TTL= 46 on all of them

As I have mentioned previously I have no idea what these figures translate to.
    I hope that you can tell me something about it.

14. 2015/12/30

The time to travel to yahoo and back.. The TTL refers to "time to live" You don't want packets constantly travelling so TTL refers to a packet's lifespan. In your example, TTL=46 means the packet has only 46 more hops to live before it self destructs :)

Now, how about the other machines in your household? You say they have good download speeds? And what type of router are you behind?

15. 2015/12/31
    hawk22

Thanks, yes I did another ping test on my Win 7 machine that actually came up with much the same figures surprisingly.

My Router that I am using is a TP -LINK TL-WR743ND and that is only 150 Mbps, so not high performance.

The Router that I have been considering is a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750, medium prized here in Aus. fairly popular though.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

16. 2015/12/31

Well, you should have consistent speeds..If one is out of norm, I would expect a cable issue, configuration issue (although, that would require you actually changing properties in device manager).

I only buy Linksys products , which is now owned by Cisco. I occasionally buy a Dlink product. Right now my current linksys router is a ea4500.. my ethernet wired machines get a consistent 50-60 mbit download and my wireless is slower.. I have docsis 3 cable modem and I'm happy with it. I would look to upgrade your wireless nic to draft N with a faster router also. I don't know what the ISP offerings are in your area so they might be limited or unlimited. The newest wireless draft is AC. But the routers are going for $200-$250 and one needs a NIC to match with that.. Not in no hurry so I'll wait.

For jokes, if your router has an ethernet port, how about connecting to it, and checking your download speed as a comparison to your wireless

17. 2015/12/31
    hawk22

As I had told in previous post, all desktops are hard wired cat5 cables from Router only the Laptop is WiFi.
    The TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 is AC

18. 2015/12/31

Is the NIC on the laptop AC?

19. 2015/12/31
    retiredlearner

Last edited: 2015/12/31
  20. 2016/01/02
    hawk22

Hi Neil, hope you celebrated, or just had a good time starting the new Year.
    No I never set my comps on power saving mode.
    Thanks for the Link though, a few tips there that could improve things.
    I am with Optus Cable Broadband which is Singtel, and I don't have that option of paying an extra 10 bucks a month to get faster speed.
    I have 120 GB and my next option is 200GB at the same speed for an extra 30 bucks and I don't need 200 GB.
    Broadband is very bad here in Australia Worldwide we are in 43 position and that is bad mate. NBN our so called Fibre Network has been downgraded as it was too expensive to cover the whole country and the slower one they are about 2 Years behind in laying out the cables.
    I was told by Optus over 2 years ago that I would be directly connected at the same cost, replacing the present Modem with a new one.
    I recently made inquired what was happening and the answer was, "We have at present no Idea when you will be connected to the NBN "
    Our new Prime Minister Turnbull was previously Communications Minister and that guy wouldn't have the foggiest Idea what he is doing, all he is interested in is the Polls about his popularity with the Media.
    Have a good one
    Cheers

21. 2016/01/02
    retiredlearner

Yes we had the usual quiet New Year. Been there - done that is our New Years celeb these days.
    The info I posted re Power Saver Mode - suggested that it had occurred from the MS update. Did you check it wasn't marked?
    Little glitches are known to be caused by updates/patches.
    My wife's comp is running W8.1 and I did my usual check on her machine while I was fixing her Internet problem on Friday.
    WiFi was not performing well at all at her end of the house, so I crawled through the roof laying out an ethernet cable from the Modem to her comp and she now has 3MS Ping and the same DL and UPL that I have. (got her off my back).
    The W10 Upgrade was displayed prominently when I checked her WU. I unchecked the W10 (she's not ready for that yet) and found there were 23 MS W8.1 updates to be installed. Checked them and set the install which only took about 4 or 5 minutes during which it Restarted.
    I carried out a Disc clean and ran CCleaner and MalwareBytes and all was sweet.
    The wife then went to use the comp about 3 hours later and she came to me in a panic because Windows was asking her to sign in.
    We don't normally have that hoop for her - she just pushes the Start button and Windows opens to Desktop.
    I had to go into Start > Run > netplwiz > and uncheck user has to sign in etc. This had obviously happened when the 23 updates had installed whether by Default or glitch or CCleaner or MBAM who knows, so it pays to check the program to be sure - to be sure (that's the Irish in me)
    We are lucky in NZ as our Government has decreed that UFB (flbre-optic cable) Internet will be available for ALL of NZ and the coverage is slowly getting there.
    There is a price war between ISP's and most will offer unlimited Broadband for around $120-130 per month. My Plan is 80GB's for $75 per month and that's heaps for us - never run out of GB's as we don't DL movies at our age. The extra cost offered was for a higher (100Mbps) speed. Neil.