1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Sleep function inconsistent

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Barry, 2014/06/01.

1. 2014/06/01
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

Sometimes when I put my computer into sleep mode, it comes out of it on its own. Also, even though I have my computer set to go to sleep when ignored for a period of time, sometimes it goes to sleep and sometimes it doesn't. Is there a way to make the sleep function more consistent?

2. 2014/06/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Barry, I'm not experiencing your problems but you set your Power Options in Control Panel and how the System Wakes in BIOS?
    I Haven't seen anything in Power Options on setting a duration of sleep/hibernate. I may learn something here myself but I set mine to Close the Monitor 1st. and then the Comp ¼ hour later.
    The comp Restarts from Mouse or Keyboard when I want it. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/06/01
    Barry

Hi Neil,
    Mine is set up likewise, but I never know when it will or won't work. Sometimes, I'll put it in sleep mode, but it pops out of that mode as early as 30 seconds later or maybe hours later, all on its own. I still need to log in to access the computer, but it is using more power than I had planned. The same holds true when I just walk away from my computer. Sometimes it will put itself into sleep mode, and other times, when I come back, the computer is just as I left it. It would probably be easier to diagnose if it always did the same thing, but I'm not that lucky.

My son, the aerospace engineer, says there must be a program that is pulling it out of sleep mode or preventing it from going into sleep mode. How would you suggest I find that? I'm not going to sit at my computer with the task manager open and wait till it happens.

Last edited: 2014/06/01
  5. 2014/06/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Your son will most likely be right. I hadn't thought of that but update checking by software you have installed may be the culprit/s.
    I usually stop updaters of software and do manual checks on a weekly basis. I stop programs from starting (using msconfig) that I don't want to start until I need them. Neil.

6. 2014/06/01
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Admin. likes this.
  7. 2014/06/02
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

There is (or was - don't know if fixed) a bug in W8.1 where the computer would not properly go to sleep if there were other computers on your network that were part of a "Homegroup" with shared files/folders/printers when you installed Windows 8.1. The details are over my head but it deals with how the code for Homegroup is set to enable "Media Sharing" between the various connected computers by default. It seems this feature would keep sending a ping of some sort ( "I'm here - got any tunes or videos you want to stream to me? ") to other Homegrouped computers, keeping the W8.1 system awake.

The solution is a PITA, but not hard.
    "Leave the homegroup" for all your networked computers,
    "Stop sharing" on all computers,
    Ensure "Let device on this network (like TVs and game consoles) stream my music and videos" is set to "Off" for all computers,
    Reboot all computers. ​
    At this point your W8.1 system should go to sleep properly.

If you want to create a new Homegroup and enable sharing between the various networked computers, create the new Homegroup on your new W8.1 system, then join the other computers to it. At this point, sharing and streaming should work and the W8.1 systems should still go to sleep properly.

To prevent this from problem in first place, if you power down AND UNPLUG from the wall all networked computers BEFORE installing 8.1, it should work. Unplugging ensures the ATX Power Supply for PCs is not providing the required +5Vsb standby voltage across various points on the motherboard when in "standby mode" (shutdown, but not unplugged - or if equipped, shutdown but master power switch on back of PSU is set to on). This +5Vsb is used, among other things, to keep network interfaces alive while in sleep modes.

Bill,
  8. 2014/06/02
    Barry

James, that suggestion sounds perfect for my situation. When I have some time, I'll go through the procedures.

Bill, I don't believe your suggestion will impact me, as the only access to my network is my printer (which didn't exist when I installed 8.1), a PS3 (which wasn't plugged in when I installed 8.1) and my son's laptop (which was in Florida when I installed 8.1).

I appreciate all the feedback and believed this issue is resolved.

9. 2014/06/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Barry: Please post back with the actual resolution. It will be greatly appreciated and will help other members who may experience the same issue in the future.

lj50,
  10. 2014/06/02
    Barry

I will do that... sometime this week.

11. 2014/06/02

Thank you.

12. 2014/06/03
    Bill

If no other computing device was connected to your network at the time, then I agree that this bug is not likely to affect you.

I agree with lj50 and please keep us posted. It might be a learning experience for all of us.

13. 2014/06/05
    Barry

Why is it when you want your computer to act up, it won't? I'll get back to you when I am able to diagnose the problem.

14. 2014/06/05

10-4.

15. 2014/06/06
    Barry

It still hasn't come back on when I place it in sleep (hibernate) on shut down, but I have been playing with the settings to get it to hibernate when ignored for a period of time and haven't been able to get that to work. In help information, it says:

Hibernate

This option was designed for laptops and might not be available for all PCs (PCs with InstantGo don't have the hibernate option). Hibernate uses less power than sleep and when you start up the PC again, you’re back to where you left off (though not as fast as sleep). Use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop or tablet for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time. First check to see if this option is available on your PC and if it is, turn it on.

This is a desktop, and the power options only show time options for turn off the display and put the computer to sleep. Sometimes it goes into hibernate, and sometimes it just turns off my display. Can anyone explain that?

16. 2014/06/06
    Bill

As an electronics technician for 40+ years, I cannot tell you how many times I have showed up on a trouble call to NTF - "no trouble found ". :( Intermittent problems are always the hardest to solve.

I would not use and do not recommend the use of hibernate on a PC. Hybrid sleep was created for PCs and would urge you to use that.

17. 2014/06/06
    Barry

Bill, you're right. I forgot I had set it to hybrid sleep. It still sometimes goes into a hibernation mode and other times just turns off the display. What about this statement?
    If you have disabled hibernation, the hybrid sleep feature may not function properly. Specifically, hybrid sleep may not recover unsaved data if the feature is on and the power goes out.
    Should I set hibernation for 30 minutes rather than off?

18. 2014/06/06
    Bill

Where did you see that? Got a link? Hybrid stores the data to disk like hibernation but also keeps some data alive in RAM when the PC is in standby mode.

FTR, I have my Control Panel > Power Options set to Hybrid enabled and Hibernation set to Never (in advanced options). I have my monitors go to sleep after 10 minutes and the computer set to go to Sleep after 20.

19. 2014/06/06
    Barry

20. 2014/06/06
    Bill

Hmmm, I don't think that is true. At least it sure has not been my experience. Hybrid uses the same hibernation file format as hibernation just in case the PC does lose power when in hybrid sleep. So I think that may be mistyped, or the guy is confused.

21. 2014/06/08
    Barry

OK, I figured out what causes my computer to kick back on. My son just returned, and his using my WiFi on his phone triggers Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller to wake my system, though I still have to log in to access my computer. I guess I'll just let this happen, till he finds an apartment. If I changed Realtek to not wake my computer, would that limit his access to the internet?