1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

News Should You Spy on Your Kids?

Discussion in 'News @ WindowsBBS' started by Arie, 2016/11/11.

1. 2016/11/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Most Americans don’t like the idea of their government spying on their internet activities, and a lot of them have misgivings about companies tracking their online habits for commercial purposes. But when they are presented with the tools and opportunity to play Big Brother with others in their family, it’s tough for some to resist.

Digital monitoring — from tracking those whom loved ones communicate with to snooping on their social media accounts to checking their locations — is becoming common even among people who view themselves as mindful of the boundaries with their children and partners.

Is there such a thing as responsible spying on loved ones?

Read NYTimes Article

Arie,
  2. 2016/11/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

When my kids were young we didn't have cell phones for location tracking, but having raised them to be honest and decent we never worried about where they were. Of course, like any kid, they sometimes went to locations where they should not have gone!

I routinely checked their computers when they were not home to:
    1. clean out malware.
    2. uninstall software like Napster & Limewire so as to avoid those costly lawsuits by the RIAA.
    3. view their browsing history to monitor where they went online.

We never used force to punish them for "breaking the rules" but instead used education and reason...and sometimes strong intentions accompanying harsh words! They learned to think for themselves.

I say if a parent must resort to "spying on their kids" using the tools available for mobile then that parent has failed earlier.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/11/11
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member

TonyT,
    under bullet #3 you state: view their browsing history to monitor where they went online
    Is that not spying on your kids??
    in your last sentence you say that if I do this, I failed as a parents???
    What is the difference you going into the browsing history and me using a tool to do the same thing??
    Sven

SVEN,