1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Shedule daily server resting

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by elimqiu, 2012/12/03.

1. 2012/12/03
    elimqiu

elimqiu Inactive Thread Starter

I'd like to turn off my win2003 server at 11pm and turn it on again at 3am everyday.
    I can only think of this solution: scheduling reboot, turning off machine power right before real reboot(load bios), and turning on power after desired time interval and resuming the last boot.

Knowing that neither window's task scheduler and power timer has the accuracy finer than a minute, so I set the system to run reboot.bat[shutdown -r -f -t 47 -c "Nightly Rest"] at 10:59pm everyday, set power timer to off at 11pm, and on at 3am everyday.

This worked fine since I noticed that it needs 12-14 seconds to get black screen (about loading bios) after the moment of windows shutdown action actually fired (that's task schedule time + timeout = 10:59:00 + 00:00:47 = 10:59:47) and so turning off the power at 11pm is just right.

Doing this makes the system happy: no unexpected shutdown event been recorded and no manual explanation needed the first time log into system after the boot.

2. 2012/12/04
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.