1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Set Default Browser W10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Halcy54, 2017/02/12.

1. 2017/02/12
    Halcy54

Halcy54 New Member Thread Starter

Hi! Totally new here, first post! Thank you in advance for any advice.

Been using Win10 a while, happy with it. I can do durn near everything I want.

I was trying to set the default browser. Start, Settngs, Default Apps. I see a list of app families, with choices.

Web Browser shows a grey square with a + in the middle. Click it, and several options are offered. Edge, Firefox, Chrome, IE, or search the apps store

I click Firefox. Nothin'. The grey box stays put.

For a test, I click Edge. Same thing; the grey box with the + sign. I click IE: same thing again.

I want Firefox, but it won't let me have anything at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Happy Valentines Day!

2. 2017/02/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Halcy54, Welcome to WindowsBBS. :) Start > Settings > Default Apps > Web Browser > click on your choice from the list > that should become your Default browser. Do you have Mozilla Firefox downloaded and running?
    What is shown in the browser box? Edge or IE?
    I've tested mine while looking at your Thread and currently I use Firefox and changed it to Edge then back to IE and back to FF. Edge and IE are in the W10 OS but any other browser must be Downloaded and installed and running. I have set up my Laptop and my wife's comp with FF as the Browser and had no problems. You may get a message asking if you want to set it as the Default and then you do the procedure above.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Any luck? Have you been using Edge or IE as a browser or Chrome or Firefox?
    From your statement you must have been using a browser to get on the web.

5. 2017/02/14
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff