1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

service pack(i386) folder in windows....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chuck_W, 2005/05/22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/22
    Chuck_W

Chuck_W Inactive Thread Starter

is it safe to delete the "i386" folder rom the windows folder? It is taking 500+megs of space.

2. 2005/05/22
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

That one I have decided to leave alone. It's one of the sources for updated files that System File Checker (SFC) will go to when you run it. If there is a newer file in there with the proper authentication signature, it will be selected rather than the older one from your original install CD or the C:\i386 location, as is applicable to your particular installation. It is also use by Windows File Protection (WFP) to instantly replace any improperly deleted files with the proper updated version.

If you choose to delete it anyway, you will be nagged for the SP2 disk when you run SFC or if/when WFP needs it. Incidentally, if you installed SP2 from a CD, this folder will not exist. More about that here:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=44002&page=1&pp=15
    Post #15 has not been disputed yet and may help you understand how the newer files are tracked.

There are other HotFix and SP backups that can safely be deleted.

Last edited: 2005/05/22

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/22
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive

Do not delete it. Superdude2 is correct in that SFC needs that file to fix up your system if any file is corrupted. In fact, there were many posts here where someone did not have I386 in Windows and they had to copy it from the Windows CD to the Windows directory.

5. 2005/05/22
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Isn't it ironic how, as the hardware has changed, so have our attitudes? What is a half a gig of space, anyway? A drop of water in the pond!

Yes, there are good reasons for leaving that particular folder alone (See SD2's link) I do delete all those blue (compressed) uninstall update leftovers, though, after a week or so. I don't need the space, and if you saw the clutter in my office, you would be surprised that I'm so particular about "how neatly" the computer is arranged! :rolleyes:

Johanna

6. 2005/05/22
    Geri Lifetime Subscription

Geri Inactive Alumni

Hi Johanna
    When I do a search some of the files or folders are in blue, what does the blue mean??
    Geri

Geri,
  7. 2005/05/22
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

Geri,

It is just showing that Windows has compressed (archived) those files to save space.

B :cool:

8. 2005/05/22
    Geri Lifetime Subscription

Geri Inactive Alumni

Thanks Mr B

Geri,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.