1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Server 2000, .net framework 1.1 issue

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by _david, 2005/12/13.

1. 2005/12/13
    _david

_david Inactive Thread Starter

Hi. I'm using server 2000 and I'm trying to install a sales management package (Act! Premium for Web). I've had a problem already with the .net framework and our estimating software, I couldn't get the .net installer package that came with the new version to install correctly.

The program will install up to the .net framework, and then once it installs that, it will come back with "insert disk 2" and then stop with an error message about the CD not being in the drive. I've uninstalled the .net framework completely, and it will come back saying that the .net msi it has will not install correctly :

First Message Box reads -

Second message box reads -

Do you know of anything that could help? The programs I'm trying to install all have the .net package on the CD and want to install the .net framework each time, which will fail. How can I make sure that the .net framework has totally uninstalled?

I think for now I will install the .net framework 1.1 from microsoft.com, and then try to install the programs hoping that the .net msi will not run again or just continue ;).

2. 2005/12/13
    24jedi Lifetime Subscription

24jedi Well-Known Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/14
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

My experience is that once a .net framework install fails/corupts, it is very difficult to fix. You can't easily uninstall it (the uninstall facility seems to rely on the framework working), reinstalling just inherits the problem (that is if you can get a reinstall to work). Documentation of what the .net framework installs and where, and registry changes are sparse and difficult to find, so manual removal is difficult. Registry rollback may get you back to a point where you can reinstall, but only if you are lucky.

For me it is one of the major weaknesses of .net. If the framework breaks, everything falls down around it. And as so much of the recent MS software is built on .net, everything really does mean everything. So the difficulty in fixing the framework is a serious issue.

If this is a dedicated server, or a new install I'd suggest that the quickest solution is to wipe the server and reinstall Win 2000 server. Yes that is a hatchet job, but as so often, it is often the most reliable and quickest solution.

However, if this is a shared server and/or hosts multiple services this won't be an easy option, and your best bet is probably to work through solutions you can find on the net (as 24Jedi suggests). In this case good luck.

I have seen a case of 2003 SP1 fixing a .net framework problem. It might be worth reapplying the latest service packs as .net framework files are included and you might find that a problem file is replaced by the service pack and this effectively fixes the problem.