1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Serial Card trying to install twice

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by elcajongunsfan, 2016/07/18.

Tags:
  1. 2016/07/18
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a computer. It's an ASUS M2N68-AM Plus with 4 gig DDR 800 but of course only 3.3 useable 'cuz it's 32 bit. I have a Perle Systems serial card installed. It gives me two extra COM ports on the back for term consoling into Cisco networking devices.

Last Saturday, it wasnt working. I reinstalled the drivers, and with that not helping, pulled the card, cleaned the gold fingers and put it back in. Looking at device manager, it shows it as being installed twice. When I started the machine just now, it detected the hardware and tried to install the drivers and failed. But it's already installed.

[​IMG]

The top one is the installed one, and the bottom is the failed. I can't figure out what's changed and there is no
    new drivers for this puppy

Anybody got an idea?

Thanks

2. 2016/07/19
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I would try starting fresh again. That is, uninstall the drivers and any associated programs for the card, shutdown and unplug the computer from the all (this part is important to remove all standby voltages) and remove the card. Connect power and boot, then make sure there are no remnants of the drivers. If you still see remnants, remove them and reboot again and make sure all is removed.

Once sure there are no traces, install the device and drivers again as per the instructions. Note some hardware devices want the hardware installed first, some want the drivers first.

Cross fingers and hope it works. If it doesn't, the card may have seen it last days. :(

Bill,
    Steve R Jones likes this.

3. to hide this advert.