1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Selling computer...how to erase ALL my files without formatting?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CrunchDude, 2007/02/17.

1. 2007/02/17
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive Thread Starter

I am selling one of my laptops and usually, I reformat and reinstall everything from scratch. However, in this case, I don't want to do that. How do I get rid of ALL of my personal files? Obviously, I'll uninstall all of my applications, delete all of the my cookies and temporary Internet files. Then I thought of using my Webroot Window Washer to "bleach" the hard drive and my WinASO registry cleaner has a "privacy eraser ", which is probably overkill.

Is there anything else I need to or should or could do to further erase my own files or settings?

Thanks to all! :)

2. 2007/02/17
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hey CrunchDude,

"Bleaching" sounds pretty thorough :)

Sounds like you have good tools. Some additional tools would be SpyBot > Tools > System Internals.

Another tool: CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

Are you going get rid of every smidgen of data? Probably not which is why formatting is recommended.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/17
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

If I were SELLING a PC I would settle for no less than a complete Format.

I write the above suggestion from personal experience. A Family member gave me a PC which HE THOUGHT he had removed everything presonal. HA-HA-HA. He forgot some things ( backup files ) on a separate partiton. I could not use them because I did not have the proper program. But If I did I could.

BillyBob

5. 2007/02/17
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

Eraser works quite well, but if someone was capable and had the right programs they could still find private information.

6. 2007/02/17
    RayH

RayH Inactive

How thorough depends upon what kind of information you've had on the hard drive. But like Billy Bob, I'd low level format and reinstall.

RayH,
  7. 2007/02/18
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive Thread Starter

I agree with you guys. It's just that this is going to a friend and I thought I was pretty thorough. Thanks again for everyone's input. :)

8. 2007/02/18
    Dytrog

Dytrog Inactive