1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Security Center does not detect] Firewall and AntiVirus

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by maxmangion, 2006/10/17.

1. 2006/10/17
    maxmangion

maxmangion Inactive Thread Starter

Since today my pc was working in good condition, and i decided to install IIS, MySql and PHP. Installation of these applications went ok, and i was able to view my sites via localhost.

However, when i restarted my pc, i got a balloon from the system tray stating that my computer might be at risk as there are no firewall and antivirus present on my system. Actually i have both installed and their icons were also present in the system tray. I went to the control panel -> security center, and i found that neither the AVG nor the firewall was detected over there.

Could this issue be related to the installation of any of the above mentioned software (IIS, MySQl or PHP).

Although i tried restarting my firewall, it was still not detected at the security center. Eventually, although i saw its icon in the system tray, i did not want to risk anything and while i am not sure it is the best solution i did a system restore to yesterday. Actually, both my AVG and zone alarm, are now detected in the security center.

Obviously the said programs are no longer on my system, so i need to re-install them, but i am creating this thread to see if i should take any pre cautions in order to avoid the same issue (although i am not 100% sure, that the installation of these programs is the culprit).

Any feedback/thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. 2006/10/17
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello max,

Lets assume that IIS, MySql and PHP is the cause.

The question is do you care whether SC knows that the Firewall/AV are running or not when you know they are?

If you don't care, then you can shut the tray notifications off in the SC > left panel under Resources > change the way SC notifies me.

Did the SC indicate that Windows Firewall was running?

I've modified your thread title.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/17
    maxmangion

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, it doesn't make a difference to me if SC is aware of my firewall and AV or not, but getting those notification, i wanted to be sure that they are both working fine.

Moreover, when normally installing typical applications such as those mentioned in my first post, should the firewall and av be running, or shall i disconnect from the net disable them during installation?

Thanks

5. 2006/10/17
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi max,

Always a good idea to disconnect from the Net when doing an installation.

I don't think it necessary to shut the firewall or AV down.

Regards - Charles

6. 2006/10/17
    maxmangion

Thanks Charles for your feedback.