1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Search for file or folder not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by z4u, 2005/10/12.

1. 2005/10/12
    z4u

z4u Inactive Thread Starter

in my windows xp i can't search for find file and folder when i click no search window open even i tried f3 also i can't get search , and other thing in internet exploere i can't view print priew or print when i click like no action happen,
    and some time in link in internet explorer when i click like no action happen.
    how to fix for find folder and internet explore print priew and print ..
    ............... :rolleyes:

z4u,
  2. 2005/10/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Look here under Search doesn't work.

Please post your other query in the IE/OE forum.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/10/12
    z4u

z4u Inactive Thread Starter

hi petec i followed as
    Search - Doesn't Work

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder
    but it doesn't solve the problem now..

z4u,
  5. 2005/10/12
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Do you get an error when you double-click "Component services" in Administrative Tools in Control Panel?

While waiting for an answer to the above question, how about a few more suggestions:
    See if registering these dlls help, from Start>Run type and enter each:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 mshtml.dll
    Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Since other dlls may be involved....
    you could also try the "iefix" for a general IE pick-me-up. Note carefully where the instructions inform you that the xpcd or service pack location may be prompted for. The link pretty well describes what this process does.:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

If that does not help, perhaps a refresh download and installation of Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP/2000 will:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=en

Last edited: 2005/10/13
  6. 2005/10/14
    melking

melking Inactive

Search doesn't work

Try the following: It is from the link given you earlier, but it took a while to find it:

Search - Doesn't Work

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder.

Good luck. jerezano.

7. 2005/10/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

z4u

If none of the fixes posted work for you I suggest you download Agent Ransack - a freeware search engine which is much better than the native search engine in XP.