1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved screen resolution reduced after installing Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Geoff Hands, 2011/12/01.

1. 2011/12/01
    Geoff Hands Lifetime Subscription

Geoff Hands Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have just put Windows 7 onto my laptop ( an attempt to solve the problem of trhe cursor jumping about and losing slabs of newly typed work - discussed in another thread) . Before the installation, the screen had a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800 px, and I could resize to anything lower but still fill the screen. Nw I have a maximum of 1024 x 768 which does not fill the screen and if I choose anything smaller - e.g. 800 x 600, the used portion shrinks even further.
    How can I fill my screen again ?

2. 2011/12/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Have you loaded theWin 7 chipset, etc drivers for the laptop? Check out the laptop manufacturer's web site.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/12/01

I didn't know about that - maybe Windows7 ought to come with a health warning ? (joke).
    I'll do that next - just have to leave off for a bit and go and start the dinner...

5. 2011/12/01

I'm back on the case and got stuck ; it seems that I have the wrong keyboard set ? Typing "Keyboard" produces "ZEY6BARD "..
    I have had this once before and asked the question, but have forgotten the answer - how do I put this right so that I can tell my laptop maker the serial number etc in order to get the chipset ?

6. 2011/12/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I doubt it's the wrong keyboard set, but you can check, using the mouse only .....

Control Panel > Region & Language > Keyboards & Languages > Change Keyboards.

Win 7 generally loads the US keyboard by default in addition to the UK keyboard - the US keyboard can be removed.

7. 2011/12/01

You are right - English/UK etc is the only one selected.

But I remembered - its number lock - so that problem is solved at least.
    Now for the resolution question and a message tothe laptop maker.

8. 2011/12/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes - the 'dreaded num lock' :) - I never use it - on a conventional keyboard or laptop - being left handed and the number keys are far more convenient to use.

If you have problems with finding drivers post the Make & Model No. of the lap top here.

9. 2011/12/01

for Pete C

I get to what claims to be the manufacturers site (Sony) but several stages further on I find I am in a site where the right driver(s) are identified and I am asked to pay for a two year use of the site to download etc.
    Does this sound right ? I would have expected the manufacturer to provide this sort of stuff free ?

10. 2011/12/01

It is a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ5MN/B

11. 2011/12/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

12. 2011/12/01

Thanks for trying - that's the self-same site which led me to the need to pay approx fifty pounds sterling for the download I want - plus the ability to look for other driver updates inside 2 years. Not good on Sony's part ( in my opinion) , but maybe I have no alternative but to pay up.

13. 2011/12/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I think not - no manufacturer would make a charge for drivers.

You may have logged onto ....

http://www.drivermanager.com/en/drivers.php?Brand=Sony&Logo=sony&gclid=CM_N1fCq4awCFZQhtAodTAornw

which is not an official Sony site, but use of Drive Manager is free to search and $30 to download drivers.

There may not be Win 7 drivers available, but Vista's should work IMO.

14. 2011/12/01

After going round in circles all night I finally gave up - I will have to pay to get the drivers I want - Sony do not provide them at all for my machine. Black mark Sony !.

15. 2011/12/01

So, I bought DriverManager , did all the scans, agreed to them "fixingthe problems" - and I am back exactly where I started...I still have 1028 x 768 and not 1280 x 800....

I have e-mailed them about it , but go to bed despondent, having probably wsted both fifty pounds sterling on the Driver manager, and whatever I paid for the Windows7 , and end up with a black frame around the visibleand usable part of the screen. Grrh !

16. 2011/12/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

17. 2011/12/02

So've been to nvidia, found their site a bit confusing - it demanded details of the river I already have, and when I used their scan could not make any sense of the answers. So I downloaded when offered the possibility , and - to cut a long storuy short - remain in the same position.
    I have sent an e-mail to the nvidia support team setting out the problem, and await their answer, if any.

Maybe I need to look for a downgrade from Win7 to Vista to get back to where I started from !

18. 2011/12/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Straight forward enough I think, even using option 1
    :confused:

Assuming you have the Go 7400 graphics chip (you did check in Device Manager?) the driver for 7 x32 is there (also x64) - see screenshot, clicking the Search button brings up the driver download.

Attached Files:

19. 2011/12/02

I am beginning to wonder ; the label on the laptop definitely says Screen WXGA and "Graphics Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 GPU, but when I look in Device Manager I find "Display Adaptors/Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor ".

Is it possible that in the upgrade I have lost the original Nvidia and gone to some other thing on the motherboard ?

Last edited: 2011/12/02
  20. 2011/12/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

That follows - you are running on the Windows VGA driver as the nVidia driver is not installed/loaded.

21. 2011/12/03

This is what NVidia said :-
    Response Via Email (Mohemed Arshad) 12/02/2011 01:54 PM
    Hello Geoffrey,

Thanks for the update.

I am sorry but the NVIDIA drivers are not compatible with the Sony VAIO laptop that is because Sony limits the laptop only to their drivers for any component of the laptop, hence you might have to contact Sony for the drivers of the graphic card.

You may try www.laptopvideo2go.com. This website hosts desktop display drivers which have been modified to install on a notebook. Please let me know if you are interested in trying this driver, so that I can send you the driver download link and the installation steps.

Looking forward for your update,

Best regards,
    Arshad
    NVIDIA Customer Care

I said yes please, seend me the link... maybe I'll get it on Monday.