1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Runtime error using Advanced System Optimizer]

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by VaCcAr0, 2011/09/13.

1. 2011/09/13
    VaCcAr0

VaCcAr0 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So I've been using Advanced System Optimizer for over a year and it always worked well but recently when I run "Privacy Protector" it gives me this error message I have no idea what could have possibly caused that. What does this mean? What could have caused this? and what can be done to resolve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. 2011/09/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Did you look on their web site - support section? It could be a common error.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/09/13
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Did you apply updates for Microsoft Visual C ? It could have caused this problem.

5. 2011/09/13
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

I suggest you uninstall it altogether.

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
    • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry ". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
    • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
    • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
    • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results ".
    Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

6. 2011/09/13
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Agree with Broni on this one.

7. 2011/09/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi VaCcAro. I also would agree with Broni on your issue. There are much safer programs that can optimize your computer for you such as CCleaner or Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Like Broni stated above, you really should only clean your registry if you know what you are doing otherwise you could completely hose your system.

8. 2011/09/13
    VaCcAr0

Ah, I'll be darned. I always thought registry cleaners were good to use anytime. Years ago, when I had Windows XP I got a lot of runtime errors and when I used regseeker, I had no more runtime errors. Since then I've used them thinking that it would be a good thing to do regularly like defragging the hard drive. But I guess in that case it was good to use one but it isn't always going to be helpful, the risk isn't worth the reward so to speak.

I also have other free registry cleaners but after seeing this, I'll just uninstall all of them. I won't uninstall ASO3 as it does other things but I will disable it from doing anything with the registry.

But that runtime error I've been getting lately is annoying. It just happened a couple weeks ago (if that). I was going to do a system restore (thought maybe that would do the trick) but unfortunately there weren't any points going far back enough.

Another error I get is when I go to turn windows features on/off and I want to re-enable Windows Media Player, it won't let me. When I restart it "reverts the changes" I don't know why that's happening either. It's not much of a big deal deal as I use both vlc and real player but still, I just hate it when I get errors like this and have no idea why they're there, you know?

Last edited: 2011/09/13
  9. 2011/09/13
    MrBill

I used to use Real Player, but found it was full of bloat. Switched to Real Player Alternative.

10. 2011/09/13
    VaCcAr0

I like real player for it's download feature. I like seeing that "download this video" tab. Does the alternative version have that feature?

11. 2011/09/13
    MrBill

I don't remember if it does or not. I have not downloaded it on my Win 7. You can try it and always delete it.