1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Running extremely slow & audio/video out of sync

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Nuts4Mutts, 2014/02/06.

1. 2014/02/06
    Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Inactive Thread Starter

Hi All!

I have to use my Vista Home Premium, SP-2 while my Windows 8 in still waiting to be set up & it's running so SLOOOOW I'm ready to scream! :eek: (oops, I did!)

I've defragged the HD; ran CCleaner; ran MaywareBytes; and a full AV scan but nothing has helped.

The audio is 20-35 seconds ahead of video when streaming media and when I left-click it takes anywhere from 20-45 seconds for the command to "take effect ". For example, I click on the Firefox shortcut & I have to wait about 30 seconds or more before it opens. Even I know that's not right.

Does anyone know what else I can do to speed things up? I'm not at all technically adept, but I can follow detailed instructions.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading my post!

Gratefully,
    Nuts4Mutts :confused:

2. 2014/02/06
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Nuts4Mutts.

Follow these steps to help make the computer run faster and more efficiently:

1. Click Start< Control Panel< Uninstall a Program and uninstall any programs that you don't use.

2. In Control Panel under Programs and Features click the link that says Turn Windows Features On or Off and uncheck all the checkboxes except for Games, Internet Explorer 8/9/10, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, Windows Media Features, Windows Search, XPS Services and XPS Viewer. Then Expand the Windows Media Features category and uncheck Windows Media Center unless you use it but leave Windows Media Player and Windows DVD Maker checked. Click Ok when you are done and then click on the Restart Later button when prompted. (If you use a Windows Feature that is listed then don't uncheck its checkbox)

3. Download and run ATF Cleaner. Save the program to your desktop. After the download completes, right click on the ATF Cleaner program and select Run as Administrator. When it opens select all the checkboxes in the program then hit the empty selected button.

4. Run Disk Cleanup. Click Start< All Programs< Accessories< System Tools< Right click Disk Cleanup and select Run as Administrator. Once Disk Cleanup finishes calculating how much space it can free up make sure that all the checkboxes are selected. Once all of those checkboxes are selected click the More Options tab and under System Restore and Shadow Copies click the Cleanup button. Click Clean up to delete all of the old System Restore points. Once that's done click the Ok button to perform the requested actions and click Yes when prompted to allow Disk Cleanup to remove unnecessary files on the computer.

5. Disable any Windows Services that you don't use by following Black Vipers Services Guide. After you have disabled the services that you don't need running, make sure to reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

6. Download and run Auslogics Disk Defrag. Make sure to uncheck any toolbars in the installation wizard as they are not needed. After the installation finishes open the program by right clicking on the Auslogics Disk Defrag shortcut and selecting Run As Administrator. When you open the program click on Settings< Defrag Priority and select High Priority. Then click on Settings< Program Settings< Algorithms Tab. Select the Delete temporary files before defragmenting checkbox and select the Move system files to the beginning on the disk checkbox. When done click Ok to close the Settings window. When you are ready to start the defragmentation process select the small down arrow next to the word Defrag and select the Defrag button. The process could take a long time so please be patient.

7. Download and run Auslogics Registry Defrag. Make sure to uncheck any toolbars in the installation wizard as they are not needed. After the installation finishes, open the program by right clicking on the Auslogics Registry Defrag shortcut and selecting Run As Administrator. When the program opens click the Analyze button. When the process finishes analyzing click the Defrag Registry button followed by clicking the Restart button to finish the registry defrag process.

8. Click Start< Right Click Computer and click Properties. In the System window click the Advanced System Settings button< In the System Properties window on the advanced tab under where it says Performance hit the settings button. In the Performance Options window click the Advanced tab and under Virtual Memory click the Change button. In the Virtual Memory window make sure your hard drive is selected and select the option that says System Managed Size and click the Set button. Now click Ok on the Virtual Memory window to close it. Now in the Performance Options window click the Data Execution Prevention tab and select the option that says Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. After that's done click Ok on all the windows to close them out and then reboot the computer.

9. You can disable the Windows Aero Interface if you don't care about all of the glass effects and clear borders for a speed improvement, Disable Aero on Windows 7 or Vista.

10. Take a look at these simple tweaks to decrease the delay time when opening menus and to improve the shutdown time, How to Speed up the Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 7, How to Change the Mouse Hover Time before Pop-up Displays in Windows 7, Speed up Windows 7 Shutdown.

11. If you find the secure desktop functionality in User Account Control annoying then you can disable it for a speed improvement, Make User Account Control (UAC) Stop Blacking Out the Screen in Windows 7 or Vista.

12. Run Check Disk on the hard drive to repair any errors in the file system. To do this click Start< My Computer. Right click on your hard drive and click on Properties. Then once the hard drive properties dialog box opens, click on the Tools Tab. Under where it says Error-checking click on the Check Now button. Ensure that both the Automatically fix file system errors and the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checkboxes are both checked. After that is done click on the Start button. Check Disk will ask you to schedule the disk check when you restart your computer. Click on yes to do this and then restart your computer to allow check disk to run.

13. Click Start< All Programs< Accessories< Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. The Command Prompt window will open. Paste the following command in the Command Prompt window and press enter, Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks. The process idle tasks process can take a few minutes to complete. Once it finishes you can close the Command Prompt window.

14. Please download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When the program opens click on the Scan button. Then when the program has finished scanning, click on the Clean button. The program will reboot the computer. Post the AdwCleaner log in your next reply.

15. Next, download the Junkware Removal Tool and save it to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator and post the JRT log in your next reply.

16. Then, download HijackThis to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator and on the Main Menu click the button that says Do a system scan and save a logfile. Post the HijackThis log in your next reply.

17. Download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop. Run the program and when the program opens check the following boxes:

Flush DNS
    Reset FF proxy Settings
    Reset IE Proxy Settings
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    List Devices (problems only)

Click the Go button and also post the MiniToolBox log in your next reply.

18. Download and run TCP Optimizer. Save the program to your desktop and then run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When the program opens, on the General Settings tab under Network Adapter selection click the option that says Modify all Network Adapters. Then at the bottom of the window where it says Choose settings, select the Optimal setting and click on Apply Changes. Click on Ok to confirm the changes and when prompted reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

19. Could you let me know what security programs you have installed?

20. How many processes are running in the Windows Task Manager?

Let me know how the computer is running after performing the above steps.

Last edited: 2014/02/07
    Nuts4Mutts likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/02/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan,

WOW!!! What awesome instructions!!! I'm going to start on this right now & I'll post again, either when I've completed everything, or if I run into a problem.

I use Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security & it's always up-to-date. I also scan with Malwarebytes & CCleaner once or twice a month

Thanks again for giving me a GREAT plan to resolve this problem. It's so nice to have hope that it'll function well again.

Gratefully,
    Nuts4Mutts :)

"Dogs may not be our whole life but they make our lives whole "
    by Roger Caras

5. 2014/02/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan,

I started to follow your instructions, but I ran into a problem...I opened the Windows Features, (it took almost 8 minutes for it to make up the list!), but I don't have the same things listed that you indicated.

I don't have "Windows Media Features ". I tried to copy & paste, but it won't let me! Can I find Media Features anywhere else? I'm running Vista Home Premium, SP-2...is that why mine is different?

Also, when I expand .NET Framework only the box for 'XPS Viewer' is checked, the rest are unchecked. Is this OK?

Can I continue with the rest of the procedure or do I have to do everything in the order that you listed them?

Sorry to bother you already. Thanks SO MUCH for your help!!

Gratefully,

by Roger Caras

6. 2014/02/07
    Evan Omo

Ah my apologies. The Windows Features window in Windows Vista is slightly different from the one in Windows 7.

Yes that's fine.

Windows Vista doesn't allow you to remove Windows Media Center from the system but that's ok. Uncheck everything except for Games and .NET Framework 3.0. For .NET Framework 3.0 you just leave it as a filled box. You don't need to check the extra .NET Framework features. Just leave that one on the default setting. Then click on Ok to apply the changes.

I would just follow the order of my instructions since it will make it easier for you to follow them.

Nuts4Mutts likes this.
  7. 2014/02/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan,

Thanks...I'll get back to the list. A quick update for you...I ran the ATF Cleaner & it freed 302.141 MBs!!! I was surprised because I ran CCleaner this past Wednesday. Should I use ATF instead of CCleaner or do I need both?

Well, back to work!

Thanks again.

by Roger Caras

8. 2014/02/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan,

I just visited Black Viper & I'm completely lost. That's WAY too technical for me!!! I don't understand anything he's talking about & I got really scared when it got to the 'bare bones' section, as it says something about not using it with Windows Defender /Firewall. I use the Firewall in conjunction with Trend Micro Titanium.

I don't even know where to find all the stuff that's in the list.

If Black Viper was a program to run I'd understand it, but this is way beyond my minimal knowledge of 'geek speak'.

Is there an easier way to use Black Viper's info? If not can I skip it?

Thanks!

Nuts4Mutts :eek:

9. 2014/02/07
    Evan Omo

You can use both programs since neither one is perfect.

Go ahead and follow the Safe configuration for the Services. Disable all of the services under the Safe Category except for the Windows Search service.

If you are still nervous about what services you can disable and you don't want to mess anything up then let me know and I can go down the list and advise you on what services you can disable without worry.

Nuts4Mutts likes this.
  10. 2014/02/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan!

An update & another question...I started doing the 'Windows Features' changes around 4:15 PM. The 'Microsoft Windows' message box came up about 30 minutes after I clicked OK. Around 8:25 PM the green status bar finally filled in; it's now 8:40 PM & I FINALLY got the 'restart' message!!! When I told you it was SLOOOOW I bet you didn't think it was THIS SLOOOOW!!!

The question...where do I find the 'services' that I have to enable or disable? Is it somewhere in the Control Panel, too?

Thanks again for sticking with me...I really appreciate it!

Gratefully,

11. 2014/02/07
    Evan Omo

Boy that certainly did take quite a long time. Lets hope the rest of the steps won't take as long to complete. To answer your question, you can open the Services window by clicking Start< in the Start search box type services.msc and hit enter.

Nuts4Mutts likes this.
  12. 2014/02/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan!

I tried doing the service.msc>enter search, but I just get an outline of the window then it closes.
    I did it 6 times and got the same result. Can I get to 'services' some other way? this also happens when I try to do msconfig...is this a related issue?

Thanks much!

13. 2014/02/07
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try Start\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\. Then clicking on the Services Folder.

Nuts4Mutts likes this.
  14. 2014/02/08
    Evan Omo

You can also click Start< Run and type services.msc and hit ok to run it that way.

Nuts4Mutts likes this.
  15. 2014/02/08
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi!

Thanks lj50 & Evan. I tried both suggestions and each one was successful!

Now it's back to work! I'll keep in touch with my progress.

Thanks much!

16. 2014/02/08
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi,

When I click the 'stop' button to disable a Service, sometimes nothing happens; other times a green status bar partially fills up, then disappears. It still shows the original setting instead of changing t the new command. I clicked the 'refresh' button after clicking the ''stop' button when it didn't disable on its own, but that didn't work, either.

Is this because my PC is running so slowly, or is this normal?

Auslogics Disc Defrag issue: A '16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem' message box AND a DOS window opened during install. The Message Box says:

C:\Users\**\AppData\Local\Temp\nsdD7F8.tmp\INSTAL('tilde' symbol)
    1.EXE
    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    CS:11eb IP:01bb OP:63 68 61 72 73 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    |Close| |Ignore|

The Program DID open even though the DOS & Message Box is still there. Should I click 'Close' or 'Ignore'?

Thanks much!

Last edited: 2014/02/08
  17. 2014/02/08

See if that is in that folder You try this Start search\%temp%.

Nuts4Mutts likes this.
  18. 2014/02/08

Sorry Evan I thought Nutts4Mutts posted that services.msc didn't work.

19. 2014/02/08
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi lj50,

Yes, there IS a temp file with that name & created yesterday at 9:21 PM. I don't know how that file was made, as I was watching the Olympics at that time. What should I do about the DOS screen & message...should I 'ignore' it or 'close' it?

I don't know if this is related or not, but I've noticed a quick flash of a DOS screen that appears on my Desktop at least twice a day. Is that normal? I've seen the 'points' that System Restore shows, (I don't know the real name), as any time I'd create a Restore Point there would be dates to choose from...is that what the 'flashing DOS screen' is for?

Thanks much!

20. 2014/02/08
    Evan Omo

You are simply stopping the service temporarily and not disabling it.

You need to set the startup type to disabled to prevent the service from starting up when you reboot the computer.

Just ignore the message and see if the program still runs.

We will get to that point once you have completed all of my instructions.

21. 2014/02/08
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi!

Defrag worked fine, & it only took a little over 20 minutes! It freed-up 43.77 MB in 'junk files', too. I always used Piriform's 'Defraggler' before; do you think Auslogics is better?

I'm ready to run the Registry Defrag, the analysis says it has 2,468 kb in fragmentation & it might increase speed by 2.3%. Doesn't sound like much, but I guess every little bit helps.

So should I delete the temp file that corresponds to the message box before I 'ignore' it or just 'ignore' & continue with this project?

Thanks again for you patience...you're a nice friend to have!

Gratefully,