1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

RSM cannot manage library...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by SKN66, 2011/03/04.

1. 2011/03/04
    SKN66

SKN66 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi!
    Anybody who could help me fix this? It's not a "life threatening" issue, but annoying :)
    Window keeps a lot of devices that’s not present and makes duplicates of them that are present... possibly because I've plugged in them in different USB connectors.

How to get rid of it and make W2k to understand that it should not make a new one every time I reboot!

Here is what the Event Viewer says nr8 is HUAWEI Mass...etc. and there is ONLY ONE of them :)

I don't know if it's appropriate or even needed, but I'll add some jpg's of what it looks like! ... well I tried to, couldn't just figuer out how :)

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Removable Storage Service
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 17
    Date: 2011-03-04
    Time: 21:22:39
    User: N/A
    Computer: BIG
    Description:
    RSM cannot manage library PhysicalDrive8. It encountered an unspecified error.
    This can be caused by a number of problems including, but not limited to,
    database corruption, failure communicating with the library, or insufficient system resources.

Any sugsestions - anybody?

2. 2011/03/05
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

Been a long time for me for Windows 2000; but, I think I remember a way in control panel to turn off auto detection of new hardware, or something to that effect.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/03/05
    SKN66

Yes....go on!

Do You refer to Data Sources (ODBC) ... any idea, where?:confused:

5. 2011/03/05
    Alex Ethridge

In Windows XP (probably same in 2K), Start> Settings> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services.

Double-click "Plug and Play" in the list of services. Stop the service and disable it.

Be prepared to re-enable it as you might get undesirable consequences when dealing with the installation and setup of new hardware or connection of new hardware. But, it is just as easily re-enabled as it was disabled.

6. 2011/03/05
    SKN66

Ah!

So it's related to "plug 'n destroy" :D I should have figured that out on my own... se if that does the trick!
    Thanks!:)

..by the way, any idea why SATA disks is under unplugg or eject hardware... like ordinary USB units?... not used to SATA either :)

7. 2011/03/05
    Alex Ethridge

Are you referring to drive letters corresponding to your internal hard disks? (ref: SATA)

8. 2011/03/05
    SKN66

No, as next step from IDE... :) You know, the red cable not the wide one :)
    ....and about PnP - Can't be stopped.... no such option available, ( the Play/Stop is gray) - to many dependencies anyway... including - Logical Disk Manager Adm. Services... not sure if that would be an good idea to stop or tinker with :)
    Any way, renamed the units not present and rebooted, then delited them - I think I my have tricked win by doing so - almost - only one remains.. and I guess I'll just have to live with that :)
    ..unless You don't have any more ideas.... trial and error :)

9. 2011/03/05
    Alex Ethridge

Boy, that sure is cryptic.

10. 2011/03/05
    SKN66

Cryptic ??

What is?
    IDE or SATA
    PnP and / or that about the services?
    They're linked / dependent of each other sometimes, close one and You may be shutting down several, but that I'm sure, You already knew...

Rename, reboot, delete, reboot = gone! No idea of why it did work but it did!
    Except for the original issue - physical drive 8 (USB broadband modem, containing setup info) that is still present twice and causing an error message as described initially.

I suspect that there may be something "fishy" going on with the USB in general and I'll keep tinkering with it until I solve it or crash the computer... :)
    It's a challenge - sort of :)

So - any more ideas?

11. 2011/04/03
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

As a Post Script (this thread is no longer current), SATA drives can be "hot-swapped ", yes, they can act like USB drives. You can Eject them and disconnect them while the system is running and then connect another SATA drive if you like. It is mainly designed for the system known as e-SATA, where you connect/disconnect external SATA drives.

You can't connect/disconnect an IDE drive unless it is in an external USB or Firewire enclosure. IDE are "fixed" drives, they are not hot-swappable unless they run through something like a USB interface.

Matt

12. 2011/04/04
    SKN66

AH! Thanks, "mattman "!....this was helpful... and I should have figured it out on my own, 'cause it occurred after updating sata / raid drivers for W2k ....
    Any ideas of how to get rid of the original problem....

13. 2011/04/04
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Are you referring to a Mass Storage Device being "multiple "? It is one device, but it can store a "mass" of data.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_storage
    USB mass storage
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass-storage_device_class

Is it always the same device? [I suppose the answer is yes, because you say there is ONLY ONE device]. USB memory or hard disk drives often come with software that can create "virtual" drives or encrypt the data on the drive. The software can and does malfunction. If people ask me to install those drives, I recommend not to use the software and not to encrypt the data unless they understand that it might get corrupted or the encryption key could get "lost ".

Check if one or more of your storage devices has software associated with it. I recommend to remove the software and just use it as any other simple drive.

It says "unspecified ", but see if you can relate any of the suggestions to your problem
    If I saw that, I would start checking for software provided by the drive manufacturer.

Matt

14. 2011/04/04
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Appears to be the problem. Broadband internet devices can have a drive, that holds the installation files, as you suggest. Did your broadband internet service provider (ISP) supply you with the device? If yes, contact them on their support website or on the telephone and ask them to rectify it.

15. 2011/04/05
    SKN66

Hi mattman and thanks!

Yes, it was the I-net providers modem and yes, it contains the install files.
    However, they should not be encrypted - the files…., but no I don't know that for a fact :)
    Physical drive 8 is a USB stick and the file system is NTFS "¦ I've formatted it a couple times, just be sure...:rolleyes:
    I'm starting to believe that W2k has difficulties to handle USB2 regardless of updates… some other issues is also common where USB2 is involved… I can't test any of this before coming back home, so… I'll be back next week :)