1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved 'Roaming' subdirectory

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kiwigal, 2011/02/01.

1. 2011/02/01
    kiwigal

kiwigal Inactive Thread Starter

I have used a desktop since 1982 and was used to knowing what every file on my computer was for and organising everything into Drives, folders and sub-folders. I find the present system confusing.

Having got straight in my mind the 'Documents" directory (in Libraries) and placed in on another drive from C:\ I find it weird that the Public documents cannot be placed on to another (and therefore safer) drive as well.

Then I find I have Username(Diana)\Appdata\Roaming which appears to contain info on installed software. - what is "Roaming "? - still on my C:\drive
    Immediately under that is "Application Data" to which 'access is denied' no matter how I alter the permissions but which I imagine is still on C:\. What is this?

2. 2011/02/02
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

what is windows 7 roaming

My advise? Set Explorer to Hide protected operating system files and Don't show hidden files, folders or drives and don't worry about it.

You are trying to access junction points.

To answer your next question: what are windows 7 junction points

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/02/07
    kiwigal

kiwigal Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for help

Thank you - your suggestion did not actually remove the Roaming sub-directory from the listing but now I understand. It did remove a number of other things I was wondering about however.

Brought up in original DOS days when one knew what every file was on your disk I find the My Document idea confusing and tend to give it the blind eye!

5. 2011/02/08
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Yea, me too, but I've learned to be flexible ;)

I leave MS stuff how it wants it, and do my own 'thing'...

Arie,
    jmkennedy likes this.