1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Right click not working on mouse

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Beach Boy, 2013/02/19.

1. 2013/02/19
    Beach Boy

Beach Boy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Sometime yesterday the right click of my mouse stopped working. The left ckick is working well, and both are working on my pc pad. But I kinda prefer to use the mouse.

My pc was pretty slow. and in order to speed it up I disabled quite a number of add-ons. Maybe this has caused the right click not to work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. 2013/02/19
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

Have you uninstalled and let Windows reinstall your mouse drivers?

If not I suggest you do - here's how:

• Right click on My Computer on your desktop
    • Properties
    • Device Manager
    • Scroll down and find 'Mice', then expand and uninstall or update drivers
    Another way you can access Device Manager is as follows:

Click on Start and then Run.

Type devmgmt.msc in the open text box, and then click the Enter key or click on the OK button.

Device Manager should display right away.

regards,

Last edited: 2013/02/20
    Beach Boy likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/02/19
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Beach Boy. In addition to following what tallin said above, I would try using a different mouse if you can just to make sure that the mouse isn't causing the problem.

Hopefully by having Windows reinstall/update the mouse drivers, it should resolve the problem.

Beach Boy likes this.
  5. 2013/02/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Beach Boy, just a question on the type of mouse you have.
    Is it wireless or cable connected with track ball? The latter you can take apart and clean.
    Also, the alternative to get to Device Manager without a RIGHT click mouse > Start > Control Panel > System > (UAC connect) Device Manager > Mice and Pointers and is for Vista OS. Cheers Neil.

Beach Boy likes this.
  6. 2013/02/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

A simple reboot might fix it;)

Trying the mouse on another pc would quickly tell you if the mouse died... Trying a differnt mouse on the current pc would also be a good idea.

Beach Boy likes this.
  7. 2013/02/20
    Beach Boy

Beach Boy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you folks very much for your quick responses. The problem has been resolved... and I am still a bit puzzled how it happened. My mouse is a fairly old mouse I used on my former IBM PC. It is not wireless, and it has the wheel in the middle for scrolling.

Thing is, I had tried just about everything you all suggested, but I did not delete the drivers and let Windows install them again. I merely asked Windows to re-install new drivers if needed, and after checking a note came back saying that the drivers were OK, etc. This happened for the pc mouse as well as the portable mouse.

Anyway, last night I grabbed the mouse and pressed very hard on the right click and to my surprise it worked!!! And after pressing it pretty hard a few it continued to work. And now I just press it normally and it works. Maybe it just needs cleaning as was suggested. I will mark this thread resolved. Thanks again.

8. 2013/02/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Thanks for letting us know that your problem has been resolved. :)