1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Rick's project computer, take II

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by basketcase, 2018/08/04.

1. 2018/08/04
    basketcase Contributing Member

basketcase Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Well ... after a re-installation of the OS I thought I had this thing squared away but I evidently deceived myself. After more than a week of finagling it still snags and lags on a random manner.

I would like to see the unit become a second computer for my shop, but that can't happen until it behaves well enough I don't want to take a hammer to it...

The Speccy file I gathered was too large to post in one lump. Advise me, please, on how to proceed and which analysis pieces to post.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. 2018/08/04
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/08/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

As it was advised in your previous Thread Rick, you need to get ALL MS updates installed.
    If it's an "old" laptop/computer you should have the motherboard drivers available.
    Many starts and shutdowns will also help to 'settle' the system. Take it off "Fast Boot" to see if that helps during this period.

5. 2018/08/06

6. 2018/08/06
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks basketcase

That's rather weird. It must be wrong.

12V should be between 11.4-12.6 Volts
    5V should be between 4.75-5.25 Volts
    3.3V should be between 3.135-3.465 Volts

i5-560 VID Voltage Range should be 0.6500-1.4000

Check in the BIOS and see if shows the current PSU (power supply unit) voltages. If they match the above, you need a new PSU.

--

When the RAW value for these is greater than zero, it's time to try and determine if a drive is going to fail.

Recommend running SeaTools for Windows. It's Seagate's diagnostic tool that checks the health of your hard disk drive. And if you need it, here's their SeaTools for Windows Guide.

Let us know what you find out ...

7. 2018/08/08

For an update, I ran SeaTools and couldn't figure out how to get the report.

Then the power supply croaked. When I push the power button it starts to load the system to boot up, and then ... some 15 to 20 seconds in it "drops dead" again.

So I'll be back after I put an power supply in it and have it up and running again.

And thinking about it, I may as well go ahead and order a hard drive or SSD to put in it while I'm into the case.

SpywareDr likes this.
  8. 2018/08/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Doc was right - your PSU was the culprit.

SpywareDr likes this.