1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Reviewing Windows 8 Developer Preview

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Admin., 2011/12/14.

1. 2011/12/14
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

2. 2011/12/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Good article. I believe my biggest challenge will be getting used to the ribbon. I too, use less than 1% of Office capabilities, and don't care for the ribbon interface. I prefer the standard menu lists.

However, like all earlier MS operating systems, the trick for me is to learn the shortcuts to tasks, and tweaks for how I want things to work.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/12/14
    Admin.

Thanks Tony. Like I say in the article, I do love the Windows Explorer ribbon!

5. 2011/12/15
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I have to admit, the ribbon looks intuitive in the images. Guess I'll have to install it. But I believe I'll use a different hard drive on my d830, temporarily swap drives.

6. 2011/12/15
    Admin.

That's what I did initially. Now I've just installed it in a dual-boot with Windows 7... Neat Boot screen ;)

I'll have to see if there are any issues dual-booting, I doubt it.

7. 2011/12/15
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Don't make me run out and get another HD for my PC. I have 2 now and use XP and Win7. Hardly go into XP other than to play a couple of free games that I have on there when I am bored. :D

8. 2011/12/16
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I used Windows 7's ability to shrink the partition to create room for a new partition where I installed Windows 8.

Arie,
  9. 2011/12/16
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

10. 2011/12/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Good job on the article Arie. Its nice to get a more in depth view on what Windows 8 will have to offer. I think this article has been the most in depth article that I've read on Windows 8 so far, so congrats.

I like the new task manager, it definitely is more user friendly and shows a lot more information about the running processes than the Windows 7 task manager. However the new Windows Explorer ribbon and Metro UI look interesting but based on what I've seen of them they are not features that I would use on my desktop system.

I hated the ribbon of Office 2007/2010 so I still use Office 2003. I''ve liked the menu system of Windows and I don't see myself switching to the ribbon interface any time soon. Also unless I am using a tablet PC the metro UI will probably be the first thing that I disable if I install it on my desktop system when Windows 8 is released.

Last edited: 2011/12/16
  11. 2011/12/22
    SeamusMac

SeamusMac Inactive

How much will Windows 8 cost?

12. 2011/12/22
    Evan Omo

Hi SeamusMac, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

I don't know for certain but I believe the prices of the Windows 8 editions will cost the same as Windows 7. Here is the link for the prices of Windows 7 for reference, Windows 7 Prices.

SeamusMac likes this.
  13. 2011/12/22
    Admin.

Microsoft has not yet announced Windows 8 pricing.

SeamusMac likes this.
  14. 2011/12/23
    indutch Lifetime Subscription

indutch Well-Known Member

I haven't even looked at Windows 8 and . . . I probably won't. I have gotten to the point that I just don't care about any NEW OSs offered by Microsoft. However, I do have a few things to ask - and 'speak my mind' about.

- Begin Rant -

When, if ever, will MS actually perfect an Operating System before they turn it loose, and force it on the world, demanding computer manufacturers install it on their newest models as the "Latest and Greatest" release and . . . the only OS available today?

If I wanted a NEW computer today (which I don't) and I couldn't have the OS that I wanted installed in it (which I can't), I'd just replace some pieces and parts, install the OS that I already have and want and be a happy camper. I'd probably save a lot of money in the bargain, too!

I have learned - many times over in my life :( - that "ALL THAT IS NEW" is not necessarily BETTER!! I offer the MS OSs of Windows ME & Windows Vista as examples.

I have had the unfortunate displeasure of having to use them both, on two different computers (not owned by me, btw), and I believe that Win98SE was far superior to both of them. Then again, imho, - an unsharpened pencil and a tablet of cheap paper was superior to Windows ME.

I use WinXP Pro on my home computer and I don't expect anything to come down I-5 out of Renton, in my lifetime, to come close to it or be any better for what I need a computer to do. I'm not a "gamer ", I don't need unbelievable speed, nor do I need 7 million gigs of storage.

I need a computer to simply "keep track of things ". That's all!! Perhaps, maybe after I'm gone, someone will come up with the simple and basic way of doing that again - without trying to get to the farthest galaxy in the universe from the Milky Way. I doubt it - but I can dream, and hope, for several steps back for those of us who don't really need to go there.

- End of Rant - (Thanks for putting up with my opinion.)

Mike

Last edited: 2011/12/23
  15. 2011/12/23
    SeamusMac

SeamusMac Inactive

Thanks everyone, for all the information.

16. 2011/12/24
    Evan Omo

No Problem. :)

17. 2012/01/05
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

I am expecting to see the power of virtual machine in Windows 8. Is it accessible from Windows 8 Developer Preview edition? I can't find it.

For Windows 8 to win, it must be more powerful than VMware Fusion 4 and Parallels 11. Windows 8 must be able to install and run OS X Lion, Ubunto 11 and iOS 5 simulations for iPhone and iPad. Othewise, Mac will be the only option for many people. If compromise the virtual machine ability, Windows 8 will only be a slave OS under OS X Lion. Agree?

18. 2012/01/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

No, I don't agree. Who cares about running VM's? Certainly not the 100s of millions of home users.

For discussion sake, lets say several 10s of thousand people would be interested in running virtual machines. Even if it would be a few 100,000, that's still a tiny fraction of the 450 million Windows 7 licenses sold by Microsoft (Sept '11 numbers).

19. 2012/01/16
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

The fact is: When I talk to my friends, ALL their children going university this year are asking for a MacBook Air, instead of a new PC. I spend hours comforting them Windows is running perfectly on MBA as I am doing.

20. 2012/01/16
    Admin.

That phase will pass :D

It has nothing to do with the discussion previously :confused:

21. 2012/01/16
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

The point is: Students want to equip themselves in multi-platform and feel like more competent. VM is the way to allow such experience at all time. Currently it is not legitimate to run OS X on non-Apple machines but it's legal to run Windows 7 on Mac.