1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Restore points not being created

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by boutells, 2013/03/07.

1. 2013/03/07
    boutells

boutells Well-Known Member Thread Starter

New to Windows 8.

My computer is not creating retore points. I have checked the item in Schedule Tasks and have set it to Wake the computer and create a restore point every Sunday and Wednesday at 2:00am but it isn't happening. All the other conditions appear correct.

I am able to create manual restore points but want it done automantically in case I forget.

2. 2013/03/07
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/03/07
    boutells

I had already done all that before I posted the thread.

From what I can gather from various forums, this is not an unusual problem and was present on earlier versions of Windows. The problem is that it is not a universal problem but only affects some computers.

So far, I haven't found a solution.

5. 2013/03/07
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2013/03/07
  6. 2013/03/08
    boutells

Neither of those achieve what I want which is to have a restore point created automatically which is what it should be doing.

Having said that, I think I have identified the problem but I don't know how to fix it.

I have reset the task to be executed daily and today it shows the task as having been executed at the set time. However, there is no new restore point when I go to do a restore.

The Task calls for the Application srtasks.exe in the System 32 folder to run. If I go to the System 32 Folder and double click on this application, a command window pops up momentarily and disappears so I think the Task has the wrong program set to run or it needs some additional script which is beyond my capabilities.

The Application in the System 32 folder that does bring up the System Restore manual creation is SystemPropertiesProtection so I tried creating a restore point that called this up and nothing happened so I suspect I may need some additional script to make it run but I don't know what.

7. 2013/03/08
    boutells

Further to my last post, the application seems to be running but it is not creating a restore point.

8. 2013/03/11
    boutells

I finally talked to the tech people where I bought the machine. They replaced it for a new one.

Exactly the same problem so it is either a flaw in Windows or the way HP has set it up GRRRR!

9. 2013/03/14
    boutells

As the support staff where I bought the machine gave up and could only suggest that I replace the machine with another model (with no guarantee that the problem would not recur and would require me to install all my software yet again), I tried Hewlett Packard (the manufacturer) who refused to get involved as they said it was the responsibility of the retailer. An attempt to get Microsoft onside resulted in an explanation that they would help but only if I paid them.

Getting bounced around like this really ****** me off so I sent an email to Steve Balmer, Meg Whitman and Sebastian James (CEO of Dixons Group, the retailer). I must have touched some nerves as all three had someone with some seniority call me back.

The retailer was still at a loss to come up with anything. Microsoft had an engineer access my computer and he told me that this was a new feature with Windows 8 in that it looks at the previous restore point and if there is no change then it does not create a restore point to save disk space.

I have now just got off the phone to someone at HP (who tells me he is Microsoft certified) in Tyneside who advises that the Microsoft engineer was telling porkies and the reality is that there have been a number of issues such as this and in reality, it is a bug in Windows 8 and will get fixed in due course so in the meantime, I have to continue to make restore points manually.

Ain't the technology industry wonderful?

10. 2013/03/14
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

Full marks Boutells for persistence with your issue. Sorry we could not come up with a fix for you. Please keep us posted if you find a fix as we will this end if we have success in solving the problem.

kind regards,

11. 2013/03/18
    Stang777

Stang777 Inactive

Hi,

I found this post because I am having the exact problem and it is driving me nuts. I agree with you that, most likely, they have the wrong string in the task scheduler for creating those restore points but I have tried others (including ones for previous versions of windows) and they do not work either.

In the history for this task, it keeps showing that the task was completed successfully but there is no new restore point in the System Restore Program. The only ones that are there, with the exception of one, are the ones I create manually.

I tried turning off system restore and then restarting it, hoping that would cause the task to be created correctly, that did not work either.

This is a Microsoft issue, not an issue with your computer or the brand of computer. My computer is one that was custom built by an excellent custom computer shop here, but they are also stumped as to how to fix this problem.

I don't buy the explanation Microsoft gave you because I have had changes made to my system and there have not been new restore points created.

I have spent a lot of time trying to fix this problem, and the fix does not seem likely so I am just going to have to use a third party system restore type program.

I wish you luck with solving this, if you do solve it, please post back with the details and I will do the same.

Last edited: 2013/03/18