1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Restore Configuration??

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by jgreene35, 2003/05/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/05/03
    jgreene35

jgreene35 Inactive Thread Starter

I am trying to restore my configuration to an earlier date and dont know how. I used the scanreg/restore but it would only allow the option for the last 5 days. I want to restore the configuration to several weeks ago. Apparently, someone, (hubby, teenageer, whoever) downloaded something and now each time i start my pc, there are **** screens that pop up everwhere........AND they seem to breed and multiply when i cancel them!

I have done this before, but can not for the life of me remember how I did this. I'd like any help on restoring my settings to a previous date.......before 5 days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks
    Jacki:mad:

2. 2003/05/03
    md2lgyk

md2lgyk Inactive

Unless you've used some third-party backup program, I don't know of any way in Win 98 to do this (short of starting from scratch if your pc came with a restore disk.

Obviously you have picked up some sort of spyware/malware. You can go to http://security.kolla.de and download SpyBot. It'll find and remove the nasties.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/05/03
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Windows 98 by default will only keep 5 copies, one for each day the computer was turned on. If you were to turn it on only once a week, it would go back to 5 weeks, eventually. What you could do is copy one of the reg backups into another folder, once a week. They are stored in C:\Window\Sysbckup, with the name Rb00x.Cab.
    While restoring a backup registry may prevent those things from coming up, it will not remove the offending items from the hard drive. That is where Spybot Search & Destroy comes in, that program is very thorough.

5. 2003/05/05
    jgreene35

jgreene35 Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks!!
    It worked like a charm! Everything seems back to normal!! I had over 200 files that I had to delete!

I appreciate your responses!

6. 2003/05/08
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Jacki,
    I am glad you solved the problem, but sometimes all that it takes when something like that happens is that some rouge Websites change your Homepage and all that is required is in IE go to Tools Internet Options and change back to your preferred Homepage if you have one or delete the Homepage that the Rouge has put in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.