1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

restart a computer from the beginning

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by demaag, 2012/09/09.

1. 2012/09/09
    demaag

demaag Inactive Thread Starter

I have made a mess with my ASUS PC. The hard disk has two partitions, C recently became almost full, while I had a lot of free space on D. So I tried to move files from C to D and doing this I made several errors.

The result is that now my disc is almost full and many applications do not run well. I know that there is a way to restart as if I had bought the PC yesterday.

By the way I can rely on a lot of external space since I have a disk with 500 GB free and a second one with 200 GB. Could you explain to me which procedure I should follow? Thanks a lot, Paolo

2. 2012/09/09
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you get a set of Disk's or make a set when you got the PC? If so you can use them. Is there a recovery partition on the main HD?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/09/11
    tigerbright

tigerbright Inactive

Hi , one reason applications will not work well is that because the C-system partition is almost full the page file - virtual memory part of system memory - is cramped for space and memory manager has possibly created a second page file in the d-partition - so very slow access time or now just not enough virtual memory so some programs just halt, as windows can not find the required pages (parts of programs) supposed to be stored in the page file.
    Try to cut&paste personal (non-system, non-application related) files to one of the external drives and free 20% in the c-partition

5. 2012/09/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Mr.Bill can Partition Magic be of any help to enlarge Paolo's C: partition???? Neil.

6. 2012/09/11
    MrBill

Yes it can. I would like to know what is on the "D" partition first. And also how he moved it to there.

Last edited: 2012/09/11
  7. 2012/09/12
    mopar Lifetime Subscription

mopar Well-Known Member

MrBill

On my computer (Vista) the D drive are my Vista files in case I need to reinstall Vista. My XP computer was the same.

8. 2012/09/12
    MrBill

Yep. That is why I am curious what is on theirs.