1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Resolving Host

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by LarryB, 2016/03/16.

1. 2016/03/16
    LarryB

LarryB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have win7-64. My computer area gets a wired connection from my cable modem. It goes to a switch then splits to my computer and to a Linksys E2000 for wifi.

Now, my hardwired computer is often losing connection with the bottom part of the browser saying "Resolving Host ". To get it back, I use ipconfig /release, then renew. It always works for a while or until it hibernates and I have to log on again.

I have had issues in the past with this. See:
    Switch issues Cable Modem settings are unchanged (x100).

This time, messing with my laptop seems to have triggered it. After repeated ipconfig /flushdns, then registerdns, followed by the release/renew cycles, the laptop's wifi is stable, but I cannot seem to get the hardwired computer there. I have tried other switches, makes no difference. If I hardwire direct to the modem, no problem!!

Thanks, Larry

2. 2016/03/16
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The reason you have problems is because you probably are paying for just 1 IP address from the cable company. If so, then this is how the connections should go:

Modem > Linksys E2000 > ALL wired an wifi comps handled by the Linksys. You can plug a switch into the Linksys to expand its wired capabilities and connect your comp to the Linksys or the switch.

If you connect the modem to the switch and the Linksys to the switch, then you will have problems because the one IP address assigned to the modem by the cable company cannot be routed properly. The Linksys can take that one IP address and share it with up to 254 computers, but it cannot share it back up through the switch unless the switch is connected to it. Thus connect the modem to the Linksys, connect the switch to the Linksys and all wired comps connect to the linksys or switch, as well as wifi.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/03/16
    LarryB

Hmmm.

A few points and questions:

The Linksys is supporting no distribution exc for wifi, right? How would that be going back through the switch (sorry)?

Tony, what if I use an access point (no routing) instead? The Linksys can be bridged (right term?) but then the software goes dark and cannot be accessed with hitting RESET and starting over.

Also, cutting the power to the nearby switch restores the internet to my computer for about 10 seconds, then back to "resolving host ".

That laptop running of the Linksys wifi has been fine, just the regular computer has issues. Oddly, this configuration has worked for months without a hiccup. Weird.

Thanks, Larry

Last edited: 2016/03/16
  5. 2016/03/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The modem MUST connect directly to the router in order for the router to dynamically share the Internet connection.

If the modem connects to the switch, the ISP assigned IP address will get assigned to either the router or your computer by the modem, but never both at the same time. It can appear that both work at the same time, but only if one computer is out of use at the time.

Here's how it works:

The modem is assigned a WAN (wide area network) IP address by the cable company, which is good for ONE Internet connection only. If connect directly to the modem then that IP address gets assigned to the computer.

If connect the modem to the router Internet (WAN) port, the router gets assigned that IP address by the modem. The router then is capable of sharing that ONE Internet connection with other computers, legitimately, meaning the router translates the WAN IP address into LAN addresses and assigns a LAN address to each connected computer.

That is the ONLY way sharing a cable connection will work smoothly.

6. 2016/03/18
    LarryB

Thanks, Tony.

I checked it out and the Arris cable modem has an integrated router. That goes immediately to a switch, which sends cables throughout the house. One of those cables goes to my computer area which is far away from the modem/router.

7. 2016/03/18
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

lj50,
  8. 2016/03/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Ok the, if the modem is a modem-router combo then it can connect directly to the switch. But the Linksys E2000 should then have DHCP disabled and let the modem-router handle all addressing.

If your desktop is wired then it should be using a static IP address anyway, to avoid addressing conflicts and to ease t-shooting.

9. 2016/03/18
    LarryB

I disabled the DHCP. I had read something about the NAT so I disabled that. too. Probably unnecessary AND moot, right? So far, all is well on the wifi front. Thanks for everything. I will give it a day or two to shake out and will then mark this as resolved. Have a great weekend.

lj50.. is there a setting on the cable modem to disable that? I have Time Warner and have no idea if they do that or not. As long as I have WPA-2 Personal security, does it matter?

10. 2016/03/18
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I pay $200 a month for TV and Internet. Why should I let Cablevision use my electricity for free so someone else can use my modem for a free hotspot. When I pay about $150 a month for electricity and that's the budget plan. If you don't pay so much during your budget year you make the difference at the end of your budget year and that bill can be a real killer on the bank account. Now Cablevision is thinking about raising the rates Again.

Last edited: 2016/03/18
    lj50,