1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolution changed after using screen saver for the first time?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by madpuns, 2015/12/18.

1. 2015/12/18
    madpuns

madpuns New Member Thread Starter

Last night, I had to wait for a file to finish downloading (it had a couple of hours left) so for the first time, I applied a 'Blank' screensaver to dim the brightness and left my computer on for the rest of the night. When I checked it in the morning, the resolution had gone down and I'm no expert, but I have a feeling this happened because of the screensaver.

I don't have the best monitor, it's an LG that doesn't have HDMI (I use DVI) and the default resolution is 1024 x 768. I use AMD Catalyst and it was always sharp and clear whenever I used it and I never had problems with the resolution before I used a screensaver.

I tried updating my driver, restarting my computer, disabling the screen saver, and nothing has been working. My screen now shows thin black bars on the top and bottom of the screen that reduces the size of it. I'd really appreciate the help! :):):D

Last edited: 2015/12/18
  2. 2015/12/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi madpuns, Welcome to WindowsBBS. :) I would try a System Restore to a time prior to this problem. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/19
    retiredlearner

Have you had any luck fixing this problem??? ;) Neil.

5. 2016/01/16
    madpuns

madpuns New Member Thread Starter

Yes, thank you! I did not try a system restore but it turns out it was in fact a problem with my drivers. Too many installed at the same time or I had the wrong version... Lesson learned though; don't trust screensaver

6. 2016/01/16
    retiredlearner

Thanks for your reply and update to your problem. If you consider it resolved - would you please go to Thread Tools and mark this as Resolved. Thanks Neil.