1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Removing Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by JoyceL, 2008/08/16.

1. 2008/08/16
    JoyceL

JoyceL Inactive Thread Starter

I purchased a new laptop which came w/ Windows Vista. The Microsoft Office Suite was already installed as a trial version. I do not use this program & I uninstalled it but after doing so, I noticed in my Add/Remove program listed was 'Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite' & when I tried to uninstall this program, I received the message: "Microsoft Office must be installed before you can uninstall this program. "
    Since I have already uninstalled the trial version is there anything else I can do to uninstall the Activation program because it is using 13.9M of my PC.
    I will appreciate any and all suggestions for my problem.
    Thanx,
    Joyce

2. 2008/08/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Joyce. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html Then when you run it, look through the list until you find the Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite entry. Highlight the entry and click the remove button. That should remove it from the Add/remove programs list.

Also open up My Computer and navigate to the following directory, C:/Program Files. Once you are there, look for any folders that were part of Microsoft Office. When you have found any leftovers of Office right click the folder(s) and click delete. :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/08/17
    JoyceL

Hi Evan,
    Thanx so much for your input & I'll download this utility.
    Again thanx,
    Joyce

5. 2008/08/18
    Evan Omo

No Problem. Let me know what happens. :D

6. 2008/08/18
    JoyceL

Not sure what happened

I downloaded the Windows Install Clean-up Program, ran it & clicked on the Activation Asst & any programs that pertained to the Office Suite & thought that I had removed them but when I checked they were still listed in my Programs & Features (in Control Panel) & I also tried to delete them from My Computer which I was able to do w/ the Act. Asst but not the Office Suite.
    I also cannot now uninstall the Office Suite because it is saying that the program has become corrupted.
    I am hoping you will be able to help me w/ this because I have no idea what to do now.
    Thanx,
    Joyce

7. 2008/08/18
    Evan Omo

Ok, since you can't uninstall Office the usual way through add/remove programs then we will have to download a seperate program that will perform the uninstall. Download and run Revo Uninistaller from here. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html After its installed it will open a list of all the installed programs on the computer. Highlight Microsoft Office and click Remove. Let the program run and hopefully it will remove Office correctly.

Once thats done, then click the Start button and click Search. After the search window opens perform a search on Office to see if there are any more remnants of Microsoft Office still on your harddrive. If it finds any then delete them. :)

8. 2008/08/18
    JoyceL

There seems to be a snag

I ran the Revo uninstaller but received this message: 'This product installation has been corrupted. Run setup agin from the CD, DVD, or other original installation source.'
    I am not able to do this since it was an OEM which came w/ the PC so what do you suggest that would be feasible for me to do?
    Thanx,
    Joyce

9. 2008/08/18
    Evan Omo

As a cautionary step to make sure you don't have any corrupt files, Click Start< All Programs< Accessories< Right Click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. Once command prompt opens type the following command and press enter sfc /scannow

Let the process run. Hopefully it will fix any corrupted files that are found. :)

It looks like we will have to delete Office manually since uninstalling it doesn't work. I will report back later of another possible solution.

Last edited: 2008/08/18
  10. 2008/08/18
    Evan Omo

11. 2008/08/19
    JoyceL

Hi Evan,
    Nothing seems to be working for me & I'm real sorry to bother you again but
    I did the scan but can't read it all because I can't widen the window.
    I went to the website, typed 'installer' into the run but could not use the 'View' because it was not the '%windir%\Installer folder' but the Computer>Local Disk (C:)>Windows>installer folder & I don't know what to do now.
    I really, really need your help, please don't get aggravated w/ me like I'm getting w/ all of this. I'm about ready to throw the stupid thing in the garbage, it's becoming so frustrating.
    Pleasssssse anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx again,
    Joyce

12. 2008/08/19
    Evan Omo

Its no problem. I can understand how frustrated you must be right now. :rolleyes:

Go into Control Panel< Appearence and Personalization< Folder Options< Vew tab. When you are there check the options that say Always show menus, Show Hidden Files and Folders. Also uncheck the checkbox that says Hide Protected Operating System Files. Once thats done press ok to exit the folder options window, then continue to follow the instructions on the Microsoft KB article I linked to. :)

Last edited: 2008/08/19
  13. 2008/08/23
    JoyceL

Hi Evan,
    I am still not able to open the '%windir%\Installer' following the directions in the KB for Vista & what does pop up is a bunch of letters & #'s under the installer but no .msi files.

It does seem like I cannot access my Windows Explorer also because when I click on it, I get my Documents folder so what happened to the WE & how do I get it back?

I'm sorry to be such a pain but I desparately need your help.
    Thanx,
    Joyce

14. 2008/08/26
    Evan Omo

When you said that you can't go into Windows Explorer, are you saying that when you open it from the My Computer link it opens your My Documents folder? What happens if you click Start> Run and type C:/ and press enter? Do the contents of your C drive open?

If you cant find any installer entries in the Installer folder then just move on to the next step. :)

15. 2008/09/01
    JoyceL

Hi Evan,
    I'll bet you are wondering what happened to me & I wanted you to know that I think I have finally removed all of the Microsoft Office program but I did want to thank you for all your help in this matter.
    As for the Windows Explorer problem, I was told by HP (manufacturer of my laptop) that the windows explorer opens the document file so I guess there is no problem there. I have never opened the windows explorer in My Computer. I have always clicked on the link in Programs. I have no idea how to open it in my My Computer. I did go to run & typed in C:/ & when the window popped up the address was: > Computer > Local Disk (C:), just wanted to let you know that. If this is not correct, please let me know.
    HP said that my PC is running in excellent condition & that made me very happy.
    Again, thanx for all your help & have a wonderful week.
    CU,
    Joyce

16. 2008/09/01
    Evan Omo

Great job Joyce. I am happy that you were able to remove all of Office easily. Its always nice to hear a happy ending.

BTW if your computer has any other problems or if its slow then you can send me a private message and I would be happy to help you out anytime. Take Care! :)