1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Remove password for User Account]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DugE, 2017/01/16.

1. 2017/01/16
    DugE

DugE Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm trying to remove the password for my account however, there is no option to do so in the user account. I can change name/account type but no password. Where is this option found?

DugE,
  2. 2017/01/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

For Security purposes I doubt you would be able to remove a Password. You can change your Password or change your account to a Local account. You can also make the change so that you don't have to login through > Right click Start > Run > netplwiz and uncheck user login.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/01/16
    DugE

DugE Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Good. This is what I was looking for. I can still use winkey - L to lock the computer and also reverse this decision when I need to.
    Thanks retiredlearner.

DugE,
  5. 2017/01/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You're welcome.

6. 2017/01/17
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You should use a password, even on a local account. Even if you live by yourself, you are the only user, and you never have a nosy neighbor or nephew over. While not a sure prevention of compromise, a password can help protect your data should a bad buy break into your home and steal your computer. Once the badguy (or recipient of the stolen goods) sees your computer is password protected, they typically don't waste time and will just format the drive and move on.

While certainly a long, strong password with upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters are best, a short couple characters is often enough to make a badguy move on. Anything is MUCH BETTER than no password at all, as long as it is not abc or 123, or qwerty or your dog's name.

Bill,