1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved remove iolo App.evt

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Barry, 2016/04/16.

1. 2016/04/16
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

I attempted to remove System Mechanic from my mother's XP SP3 computer. Unfortunately, I can't seem to remove the iolo App.evt. What do you recommend to delete this? I couldn't get rid of it in Safe Mode, either, as it says some program is presently using it. It keeps replacing the iolo.dll, but I can easily delete that. I searched and checked the registry and couldn't find anything else connected to iolo. I figure I need something that will remove it upon startup. What do you recommend.

2. 2016/04/16
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Go to the Task Manager\Processes and end any processes for iolo. Then try to delete that folder. Also you may have missed some reg entries. What version System Mechanic do you have. I had to get instructions directly from Iolo. Try H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. You will to have to manually check each entry. Delete every Iolo key. That's how I got rid of mine. There are other reg keys involved. But first try the above.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/16
    Barry

I did all that and found nothing related to Iolo. System Mechanic has already been uninstalled, so I have no idea what the version was. The only thing I can find still remaining is the iolo App.evt in System32. It is 64KB. My mother kept calling me when a popup came from iolo. I haven't seen any popups since I removed what little I could find, but I want to make sure she isn't bothered by popups again.

5. 2016/04/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you tried ADW cleaner? Neil.

6. 2016/04/16
    Barry

Neil, indirectly, you stumbled across the answer. ADWcleaner didn't remove the file, but after running ADWcleaner, whatever was holding onto the file seemed to be disconnected from it, and I was able to delete it. I ran it through CCleaner and it is totally removed from this computer. Thank you.