1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Remote Desktop won't connect

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by yarddog1953, 2004/01/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/01/16
    yarddog1953

yarddog1953 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi guys and gals,

I have been reading this fourm for over a year and a half and it is one of the best I have read by far!!

I have a little problem and can't seem to figure it out...even with all of the research I have done at this site and others, even over at M$ site...I can't seem to be able to connect to my computer's remote desktop no matter what I try!

I am running XP Pro on a 2.4Gig P4, 768RAM Dell 8200 on a Broadband connection with a Netgear MR814 Router.

I have enabled all of the settings on my computer, such as in system properties on the Remote tab -checked the Remote Desktop and checked the Remote Assistance, then I went to the Remote Users and allowed myself to be able to connect to the Remote Desktop.....I have configured the Mcafee Firewall to allow Remote Desktop.....I have configured the Netgear Router to open port 3389...

I live in one town and when I go to my Mother's house in another town about 50 miles away and try to use her XP Home Dell computer to try to connect to my computer by typing in the IP address the screen says unable to connect because the settings on my (XP Pro) are not configured correctly or something like that.

I've tried to type in my WAN address (12.216.234.xxx) and also to type in my LAN address (192.168.0.x) but I get the same message no matter what.

Will I be able to use the Remote Desktop feature on my Pro computer or not be able to because I am on a Broadband connection and behind a router?

I am not very good with this stuff (WAN, LAN, etc. etc.) so if anyone can explain this to me I would be very thankfull!!

I just would like to know what to do in easy to understand
    directions if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. 2004/01/16
    Newt

Newt Inactive

You need to set up port forwarding on your router to forward all traffic for the port Remote Desktop uses to the LAN address of your PC. And you will need to use the WAN/Internet address of the router.

If you want more info on why, take a look Here.

If you set up the port forwarding and still have a problem, post back but please include the exact, complete error message.

This is a networking issue so moving the post there.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/01/16
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Yep like Newt said. Opening the port does not do anything.
    You need to fowared 3389 to your local ip address.

I know my way foward and backwords around a D Link and a Linksys but not a Netgear. Sorry.

5. 2004/01/17
    yarddog1953

Thanks so much for your reply. I will be going to the XP Home computer tomorrow and I will try again with the configuration that you suggested ( port forwarding the router on my "host" XP Pro computer) and will post back with the results.

Thanks again for your help!:)

6. 2004/01/17
    yarddog1953

Still can't connect to my XPPro "host" computer from my Mom's XP Home "client" computer!

The error meggage:
    "The client could not connect to the remote computer.
    Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer
    might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also
    possible that network problems are preventing your
    connection.
    Please try again later, if the problem continues to occur,
    contact your administrator. "

As I stated before I think all of my XP Pro settings are configured to allow Remote Desktop, and I set the Netgear Router to "port foreward" the remote desktop port--3389.

I must be doing something wrong, but I have no clue to what the problem is??

I entered the public IP address of my Cable modem to connect with the port number tacked on to the end...like this
    12.216.xxx.xxx:3389 Does that look like it should?

I thought that the cable modem sends that to the Netgear router and then the router is supposed to send it to my computer and then I am connected...is that right?

It just won't work...help!

Thanks again in advance for advice/comments/help!

7. 2004/01/17
    Scott Smith

First of all how are you getting Remote Desk Top on "Your Mom's XP Home Machine "? XP home doesnt have Remote Desktop.

2nd, The port number is not nesessary.

3rd, did you reboot the router after you made the changes?

8. 2004/01/17
    yarddog1953

What I'm trying to do is to connect TO my XP Pro at my house in one town FROM my Mom's XP Home in another town. (when I visit my Mom, I want to be able to access my own computer at my house, from her house...ie Remote Desktop! )

No matter what IP address I type in I get the same error message...so I did some research and found out that because I have a router installed I can't get through to my computer. That is why I am using "port forwarding ". (but I'm not sure if I have it set up correctly..I need help I guess!?!)

Yes, I have rebooted the computer many times since I have adjusted the settings.

Edit:
    How do you reboot the router?:confused:

Last edited: 2004/01/17
  9. 2004/01/18
    Scott Smith

First I would narrow down where the problem is by process of ellimination.

First check and see if remote desktop will respond within your LAN which it probably won't because I think thats where your problem is. I think your machine is not allowing Remote Desktop Sessions.

Is your account on your machine password protected?
    If it is not, I have seen remote requests refused.

Also, try logging off your machine and see if it responds to remote requests.

I still dont understand how you are running Remote Desktop on your mothers machine. XP Home does not have remote desktop!

10. 2004/01/18
    Scott Smith

Never mind. I read Netgear Manual and it does not require reboot after config change.
    Most do.

11. 2004/01/18
    Scott Smith

One more thought.
    Make sure the personal firewall is turned off in XP

Network Properties / Advanced Tab

12. 2004/01/18
    yarddog1953

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll take your suggestions and try them again tomorrow when I go back to my Mom's House. I'll post back with the results.

Mom's computer is XP Home and it has "Remote connections" in her start>programs>accessories>communications>remote desktop connection. I have the remote desktop that I want to connect to(XP Pro)....sorry for the mis-communication.

I will also log off and just leave my computer on before I go over to her house, and I DO have the firewall(both XP's and McAfee )turned off. ( I don't need them as the Netgear router has a "stateful" firewall built in). Also, I have my computer (XP Pro) configured to accept Remote Desktop Connections and I am the administrator, so I am in the "Remote Desktop User's Group!
    Hopefully it will work.

Thank you again
    ;)

13. 2004/01/19
    yarddog1953

Success!! Everything worked out fine this time. It was because of the firewall that I couldn't get through. I stopped it and this time I had no problems....Thanks again to everyone!!:D

14. 2004/01/19
    Scott Smith

:D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

15. 2004/01/20
    Crucial

Crucial Banned

As far as i am aware you can only connect remote desktop connection to a machine that has terminal services installed on it and you can only install terminal services on a Server based Operating system.

Last edited: 2004/01/20
  16. 2004/01/20
    Scott Smith

XP Pro will receive Remote Desktop Sessions Natively.

For outgoing Click on Start \ Programs \ Accessorys \ Communication \ Remote Desktop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.