1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Relocating Folders from new SSD to new HD

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by hawk22, 2014/08/01.

1. 2014/08/01
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Having a question I can not find a positive answer to, keep getting conflicting responses. (Not here) Googling.

I have built a new system with a Samsung 250GB SSD with Windows 8.1 clean install on it, also Avast AV and Malwarebytes and Mozilla Firefox, but no other programs as yet.

My main drive in my case F is a WD 3TB black edition, that will have lesser used programs and My Documents, Music, Pictures and the like on it.

I will need to move (Relocate) these Folders from the C.\ drive SSD to my F drive. In Microsofts Answers I can only find the solutions to Windows 8, I have been told that the procedure for Windows 8.1 is different and by applying the Windows 8 procedure in Win. 8.1 will mess the drive up.

The proper procedure for win.8.1 is supposedly that I should create a folder on the WD drive first example Win8Docs and then move the My Documents Folder from the SSD into that Folder.
    Same for all the other above mentioned Folders.

Has anyone here had any experience regarding those differing opinions.

hawk22

2. 2014/08/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/01
    hawk22

Hi Neil,

Yes, that is what I am looking for, but again as it states at the top it is for Win 8 and 8.1 is slightly different, but it doesn't tell you how to do it in 8.1.

Thanks Neil for looking
    Cheers

5. 2014/08/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Bill, I'm running W8.1 in 2 Tower units and my HP Notebook. The HP was set up with W8 when I bought it last August (2013) and it upgraded to 8.1 through WU automatically and the OS still operates the same with a few refinements.
    I'm guessing that the guys who provided those details are just covering their a--es because they do not state WHAT the differences might be.
    If you backup before you do anything - and some odd thing happens - you can go back to your saved data.
    P.S. I built a new comp for the wife and put W8.1 Pro OS and she loves it. I put Start8 on the 3 units we have as it makes it easier to find your way around without using the "Tiles ". Neil.

6. 2014/08/02
    hawk22

Hi Neil,

Thanks and I too like Win8.1 very much after only just a few days. I actually don't mind the Tiles I think I will keep them.

No Neil my new comp has nothing on the HDD and only the OS and anti virus on the SSD, I am starting from scratch here.

This is a link to one of the Guys referring to 8.1

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

I have put that question to MS but no answer, and from what I have heard never will get one either.

cheers

7. 2014/08/02
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

8. 2014/08/02
    hawk22

Thanks Arie, very informative Article.

This is, I think what I was looking for, you also explain that I will have to create a Folder in my non SSD drive first.
    This might be a silly question for you, but I have to ask it anyway, do I need to perform this Task for all the other folders that I want to move as well, Music, Pictures, Downloads. Logically I would think so but..... better ask.

Cheers

hawk22

9. 2014/08/02
    Arie

Yup. Create new folders for all, then change the location with the information provided in the article.

Arie,
  10. 2014/08/02
    hawk22

Thanks , sorry forgot to ask, if unsuccessful is this move reversible.

Cheers

11. 2014/08/02
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Then for the "new" Documents folder, you will need to cut and paste any documents in the old location to the new location. That is not done automatically. Or, leave them there (copy and paste) and have a ready made backup.

And FTR with a 250Gb SSD, I sure would NOT install or move any program files over to the HD! With a decently sized SSD like that 250, Windows, drivers and all your apps should EASILY fit on the SSD with plenty of free space left over for the Windows managed Page File, plenty of System Restore points, and space for Windows temp files while the system is running. Installing "programs" on a HD does take full advantage of the significantly superior performance SSDs have to offer.

12. 2014/08/04
    hawk22

Thanks Bill, unfortunately I have not progressed to that point.
    I think that I followed Aries guide very closely on how to move Folders, but it is not happening the way it should.
    I have tried the move with Videos, because should it not work as it has, this is a folder I won't miss.
    What is happening is, when I do a Save As Document into the Video Folder unless I select the Video Folder in drive F (my non SSD drive) the Document will just go into F and not into the Video Folder on F. If I just do a "Save As Video" it will go onto the C drive and not F. So as I see it it does not recognise F as the new location it still selects C.

hawk22

13. 2014/08/04
    Arie

Which means you didn't set the Set as default save location.

As I further explained in the article:

14. 2014/08/05
    hawk22

Well I did start over again and followed instructions but exactly same again.
    So I looked at the instructions again from the Link I posted earlier, (Toms Hardware) I decided to give it a try and it worked the folders are now in my F/ drive and when I do a save as I can select the folder under My PC.
    So I don't know why the method in Arie's article did not work for me.

I would like to get some opinions though regarding the Downloads Folder, should I leave that on C:\ or move it to F:\ as well, can't make up my mind on that.

I think that was the easy part done, now comes the real slogger, deciding what to move to the new comp and what to leave behind.
    Especially hard for me since I am a sucker for hanging on to old stuff (Horder) I think they call it.

hawk22

Arie I made sure I did the "Set As Default Save Location "

15. 2014/08/05
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

16. 2014/08/05
    hawk22

Thank you, appreciate your advice.

hawk22

17. 2014/08/05
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I moved my Downloads folder to my HD (D drive). In reality, the downloads folder is more or less a "temporary" storage location for the "installers" for the programs you want installed on your system. Once that program is installed, you don't need that downloaded installer program anymore. And if you do, you can always download it again.

I say "temporary" because it likely will not be long before program updates make your saved downloaded file out-of-date. So if you have to reinstall the program, it is best to download it again to ensure you have the most recent version.

With a boot SSD of 128Gb or less, I would definitely move the Downloads too. With a bigger SSD, I still would, but it would not be as high a priority. It is not something that gets harder to do if you wait. Just don't wait until free space on the SSD gets critically low.

hawk22 likes this.
  18. 2014/08/05
    hawk22

You are absolutely right here Bill they are only temporary with new versions coming out ever so soon.
    I think I will move it, downloaded a couple of Photo Managers with several hundred MB's in size, and that is unnecessary stuff on the SSD.

I had used Picasa for many years but it picks up too many images from the PC that I don't want on it, so I am looking for something not too expensive that is a good manager and also a mild editor.

hawk22

19. 2014/08/06
    hawk22

Well I have moved Downloads to my non SSD drive, already had 900 MB's on it so I think it wouldn't take to long to put a few GB's on it.
    Its done and it works OK, it moved all the files over no hassles.
    hawk22