1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Red cross over my hard drive in my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrchrismckay, 2008/01/31.

1. 2008/01/31
    mrchrismckay

mrchrismckay Inactive Thread Starter

ok, i had a bad reformatting week, but ive finally survived it, windows xp is back up and running after this that and the other, only one thing remains......

a red cross over my hard drive in my computer.

anyone any ideas, i have cleaned the registry, removed spyware etc etc, but nothing. it doesnt do anything, doesnt move, talk, nothing, just sits there!!!!

help!!!

anyone???

2. 2008/01/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Are you saying that the hard drive icon is not the usual hard disk, but either that icon or another with a red x on it or .....?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/01/31
    mrchrismckay

mrchrismckay Inactive Thread Starter

Everything is normal, the only thing that is different or affected is that the icon has changed when i click open my computer, its not a big deal, at least i think, but i just want to get it back to normal!!!!!so instead of the usual c drive icon, its this big fat red X.

5. 2008/01/31
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

There's a variant of the Vundo virus that causes the drive icon to have a red x. You mentioned "removed spyware ". Suggest posting in the removing spyware forum.

6. 2008/01/31
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I agree with TonyT that you should pay a visit to the malware removal forum, but here's a fix for your icon. It's usually caused by someone/something attempting to customise the icon. The following registry fix will remove the non-default key where the customization takes place, allowing the default icon to be restored.

Highlight and copy the contents of the quote box below to a blank notepad. Save it to the desktop as;

Filename: fix.reg
    Save as type: All Files (*.*)

Double click fix.reg and allow it to merge with the registry. If the icon is still present when you open My Computer, restart the computer.