1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Recovered from Win 10 Crash ... Outlook has OST vs. PST issues

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by AlexH, 2017/07/19.

1. 2017/07/19
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ... Thread Starter

Hi.

My wife's Windows 10 system failed miserably and, after trying all the gentle approaches, like System Restore - I could only get the Blue Screen of Resolutions - I ended up doing Rebuild the System, saving all personally created files.

This is a wonderful thing that Microsoft shoulda done many years ago, giving us a way to recover our systems without having to reformat, or wipe out and start fresh, and all the stuff I learned back in the 80s and 90s; but ... and there always is a but ... I chose to restore Windows while leaving personally created documents, etc., alone, safe and secure. I'd done that before on my own machine, a much newer one running the prerelease Insider Preview stuff, and had no problems at all.

So all seemed to be well; I then reinstalled Office Pro 2010. But when I tried to bring in her old Outlook files, I was unable to find them, so to speak. I did, however, find an *.OST file in \Windows.old under \Users. It was the right name for her file, but the wrong extension, as Outlook doesn't seem to like OST files.

I am getting too old to remember all the neat tricks we used way back when, and was hoping that someone here could help me. If it's a simple import of a sort ... or something else sorta easy, I will feel properly foolish and embarrassed, but I need to get her files back. We've bought her a new PC and I want to fix this problem before migrating necessary things to the new PC.

Can you offer some advice on how to do this?

Thank you very much, everybody.

Cheers,
    -a.

2. 2017/07/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Alex, I don't use Outlook but I think your info should be held on MS cloud storage? I use Gmail and TB and all my emails are on Gmail storage. Someone with more knowledge on the subject will no doubt be able to help you better.

AlexH likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/07/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

The default location for the PST files is-> C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Outlook Files

AlexH likes this.
  5. 2017/07/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Since an OST file is an offline folder file, it suggests that the emails are all online in a mailbox, so you should be able to reconnect to the account and have it all back.

Otherwise Steve's answer provides the location of the .PST file(s).

More info: Introduction to Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)

Arie,
    AlexH likes this.
  6. 2017/07/20
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ... Thread Starter

Many thanks for all suggestions.

So, while reviewing them, something jumped out at me: Outlook Connector. I located an EXE in my downloads and tried to use it but needed a 64-bit version.

I got that done, restarted her PC, brought up Outlook and was asked if I wanted to connect to a Hotmail account.

Gave the necessary info, restarted again, and it all came back.

I guess I'm not over the hill yet☺ after all.

Once again I thank you all for your help and only hope I can return the favor some time.

-a.

7. 2017/07/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Great stuff :) Glad you got it sorted.

AlexH likes this.