1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Recently built PC, MANY, MANY erors

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by justcallmefred, 2010/11/01.

1. 2010/11/01
    justcallmefred

justcallmefred Inactive Thread Starter

I recently tried my hand at building a Tigerdirect barebones kit.I put it all together, installed Win7. Started having bluescreens several times a day. I tried and tried to hunt down newest drivers. ATI was the worst, would not install correctly.I ended up using Driver Genius Pro to update the drivers ( not something I was keen on ). It did fix 'some' of the bluescreens . I friend recommended I do some research on the errors....I did and I read to use the "command prompt" to fix one. After a reboot pc would not even load windows other than safe mode . This was the error "Session "Microsoft-Windows-Setup" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D " ...this is what I did "On an elevated (run as admin) CMD prompt: VERIFIER /FLAGS 1 /ALL ... reboot. "

I would so greatly appreciate any and all help. I will post any logs needed....

2. 2010/11/01
    justcallmefred

I also have a "Visiontek Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card " and a "VisionTek 450W Dedicated Graphics Power " which are not listed in my specs

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/11/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2010/11/01
    justcallmefred

I read the whole thing, other than the code...none appears to be the same :( .At this point I'm still running safe mode too. Is there a way to upload the dump files in safe mode to see if that would help?

6. 2010/11/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

BSOD on a new system would be a cause of concern as I suspect some faulty hardware.

Check if you are overclocking the system.

Take out a module of RAM & run the system. Switch the other module & then also check That should give you an idea if something is wrong with the RAM.

7. 2010/11/02
    justcallmefred

Swapped them out the first week. I did not set anything to overclock.....didn't think I needed too.

8. 2010/11/02
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Did you install any drivers for the motherboard, chip set, on board graphics, etc. The motherboard should have come with its own disc.

Is this new PC the one listed in your system specs.

9. 2010/11/02
    justcallmefred

Yes, it's that MoBo, installed the drivers from the disk. That MoBo has software from the manufacturer that will update it's own Bios and other drivers. There was a Bios update and one or 2 other updates. I had the BSOD before and after those updates.

10. 2010/11/02
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

I think I would try a shot in the dark here and run a check on the hard drive. Click start, type cmd in the search box, at the top of the box right click on 'cmd' and select 'Run as administrator' at the command prompt type chkdsk /r and hit enter. This will check the OS on the hard drive. Having had to correct errors in the OS so early on suggests something may have got corrupted during the installation.

I think I would also be tempted to strip off all hardware, just leaving the essential parts so the PC can function, do a full format on the hard drive and start from scratch. After installing each new piece of hardware and drivers check for any errors. If it runs OK with the bare essentials installed you might find you have a drivers problem, possibly something incompatible with 64bit Windows 7.

11. 2010/11/02
    justcallmefred

This is the message when I tried chkdsk /r .. "The type of file system is NFTS.Cannot lock current drive "

below that it reads "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.Would you like to scedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts ? (Y/N)

gonna hit yes..

12. 2010/11/02
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Hit yes and it will run when it restarts.

There is a monitor in windows 7 I have just learned about called 'Reliability Monitor'. Click start and then type Reliability in the search box and 'View reliability history' will appear in the box above, click on it and the monitor will open.

It should list all the recent errors you have had and might help you to pinpoint some common problem. Similar to event viewer but looks a bit easier to understand.

I am only just figuring out what this facility can tell you but thought it might help.

----------------------------------------------------

Have you been able to run in safe mode for any length of time without a BSOD, if yes, then it is more than likely you have a driver issue. I would do a thorough check on all drivers installed to make quite sure they are compatible with 64bit Windows 7 and are not just listed for 32bit.

I see you had problems with the ATI drivers, what happened?

One final thing which will allow you to read the BSOD before it vanishes is to stop the auto restart, like this:

Click Start, select 'Control Panel' select 'System'
    In the left pane select 'Advanced System Settings' and in the box select the 'Advanced' tab.
    Under 'Startup and Recovery' select 'Settings'.
    In the box under 'System Failure' uncheck 'Automatically Restart'.

Please take a note of all the details when the next BSOD happens and put in a post. You will have to restart manually.

Posting your last few error logs may also help.

That should keep you busy for a while, let us know how you get on and ask if you get stuck:)

Last edited: 2010/11/02
  13. 2010/11/02
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

I've just added a lot more to my last post, please read, follow and respond:)

14. 2010/11/02
    justcallmefred

I am checking the forum on my phone, doing dskchk and it seems to be taking a very, very long time. After updating video drivers with Driver Genius Pro they seem stable. Will do the other things after dskchk :)

15. 2010/11/03
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Chkdsk can take a long time to complete and may appear to hang, let it finish.

I have just found this, yet another facility in windows that will automatically check your drivers. It isn't 100% accurate but should help isolate the problem if it is continuing.

16. 2010/11/03
    justcallmefred

Ran Chkdsk, computer wouldn't even load in safe mode. It loaded drivers than stopped. I reloaded Windows today, the only drivers I installed were on the MoBo disk...and it BSOD'd 2x !!

Already 47 items in the Event Viewer log.

Last edited: 2010/11/03
  17. 2010/11/03
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

This is not looking good. One thing I haven't asked is if the hard drives are new, if they have already had some use it may be worth downloading and burning a diagnostics disc from the manufacturers site. Then reboot the PC with the disc in the drive, it should boot and run from the disc allowing you to verify if the hard drives are OK. Obviously this disc will need to be created on another PC.

After that, if the hard drives pass the test, I would assume that either the mobo or the CPU are faulty and return the whole kit to the place of purchase for a replacement.

18. 2010/11/03
    win32ce

win32ce Inactive

Hey Fred, don't stop debugging with markmadras, but I have some thoughts about system building that may or may not help:

1) Now that you have not found an easy fix, I would strip down the PC to the minimum hardware you need to get Windows up- remove the supplemental PSU, all the DIMMs but one, the extra NIC, and one of the drives. Use the simplest, oldest keyboard and USB mouse you own. You can add that stuff back one at a time when/if you get a stable system running.

2) Try turning off the SATA controllers you aren't using in BIOS before installing Windows (your MB has 3), and if you have the same issue, try a different controller and reinstall.

3) AMD sockets are great about shutting down the board if your overtemp (I know), but I might consider popping off the CPU cooler and remounting it with new thermal compound. If you installed an aftermarket CPU cooler, see if any of the MB components are pushed over, if the MB was torqued by the weight of the cooler, excess thermal compound under the CPU etc.

Home builders are at a disadvantage identifying defective parts because you don't have an inventory of hardware to swap around. I took a system I was building to a little PC shop near me and we swapped out CPUs and DIMMs to the point I knew I had a faulty motherboard.

19. 2010/11/03
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Thanks for the input win32ce, a couple of things there I hadn't thought of but had suggested your idea in 1) back in post 9.

Following results from a hard drive test I am lost for other ideas.

20. 2010/11/03
    justcallmefred

Is this bad?

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x001903040513. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

21. 2010/11/03
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

I am not to hot in this area but this fix appeared in several forums. I don't think it is serious:)